Welsh Harlequin

Here is a pic of my three WH ducklings. I got the eggs from their pen, so I know they're not from the Muscovy hens. (their eggs are different, anyway)

Would love to know how I ended up with these different colorings. The one on the right looks WH, the middle one looks khaki, which I guess I could understand, but where did the left guy come from?

Below is a pic of my WH trio, in case that answers any questions. They were given to me and the guy who had them has zero information on them. He couldn't even tell me how old they were.

Wow, that is just odd. As funny as it sounds, it almost looks like a mallard laid an egg in their, or a muscovy. Cause that one on the left is NOT a WH. The other two look to be though.

Here is a pic of my three WH ducklings. I got the eggs from their pen, so I know they're not from the Muscovy hens. (their eggs are different, anyway)

Would love to know how I ended up with these different colorings. The one on the right looks WH, the middle one looks khaki, which I guess I could understand, but where did the left guy come from?

Below is a pic of my WH trio, in case that answers any questions. They were given to me and the guy who had them has zero information on them. He couldn't even tell me how old they were.

I have hatched about 3 dozen so far and of those three ducklings the only I'd say for sure was a WH is the one on the right. The other two look just like my scovy babies.

I hatched out some WH from a local breeder. I doubt they are anything close to show quality or the high quality that Holderread's have. I have not asked if they knew the exact lines of the ducks. I hatched out 6, and kept two. I did not have any hatch out with the typical "female" bill with the light bill with the dark tip. Two hatched out with a dark bill, one with a semi-dark bill, and then three hatched out with a yellow bill and a black line down the center.

They are two weeks old tomorrow, and their bill color has not really changed. It is just starting to get dark towards the beginning of it. I thought after the first two-three days the bills darken up and you cannot really tell which ducks are male or female anymore? One of them has already started Quacking, so I believe I have at least one definite female. What do you think?

I have to agree with Mary. The one on the right looks like a Welshy, but the other two not.
The one on the left looks like one of the half and halfs got last year. He was half Welsh Harlequin and Half Cayuga.
The one in the middle sure does look like a Kahki.
Any of your neighbors have ducks?

They're beautiful, no matter what they are. I know that doesn't really help.
Best of luck,

Liz

Oh I have loved reading this informative thread. I am seriously considering getting some ducks, especially after getting my shins bloodied this morning my a marans roo who lost his brain this morning.

If I get ducks I will definitely be getting WH's.

Question... last year we hatched out our first grouping of Welsh Harlequin ducks, silver phase, came from Metzer line.
We had one duckling last year that from the beginning would tilt its head backwards and fall over. It ate & drank, but would do this excessively. When this duckling(was a male) was about 8 weeks old it would shy away from the other 4 ducklings and we found it dead one day. Now this year we just hatched out from this same line 8 ducklings, and one duckling is exhibiting this same behavior. We are thinking this might be a genetic issue in the line. Anyone here experience similar?

Last edited:
Here is my families welsh harlequin ducks, donald and daisy. There very calm but my female does not lay very often (dont know why).

This is Daisy

Here is Donald

Here is both of them!

I'm not sure what the name of it is, but I do know that Trouts have a similiar genetic issue. And I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, that Trouts are a cross between
Welsh Harlequins and one of the Runner colors. We've been fortunate, we got 3 ducklings from Metzer and all are great layers and not major issues physically.
If you have a young one like that it might be kinder to cull it. So it doesn't get pecked to death, Ducks can be cruel to weekness. Or if it is genetic, your first one may have
passed from upper respiratory. If it was not able to keep it's head down, it leaves the windpipe vulnerable to stuff.

Good luck,

Liz

A quick shot of our gals looking for treats...

Our metzer welsh harlequins lay very well, however we have had no broodiness yet. Will keep an eye on any further issues we note.
We are hoping to eventually get some holderreads line

Back
Top Bottom