welsh harlequins

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cogoose, Oct 26, 2014.

1. cogoose

cogoose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2014
    In 2012, I went bonkers for geese. (like I made peopel tired of me at work)

In 2014, it's the duck that wins me over.

I ordered 10 wh ducks in the fall of 2013. They are one year old now. I gave away all but 2.

The two mated and I wound up with 9 babies. I gave away those that I thought were males. At present, I have the parents, a girl and a 'baby' girl. The 'baby' girl was actually kicked out of her nest in the egg. I put her back in; she was kicked out again. So, as it was in the heat of summer, I put her in my trunk for the times I was at work (no incubator). Slept with her as an egg at night. Hatched her one week after the others. I didn't know if she'd make it but after 3 nights of my sleeping with her at night to keep her warm, she was eventually residing in a dog crate with my crested baby for the first 2 weeks. She is smaller but just a beautiful. Her name is Daisy. (for the flower, not the duck).

At the same time, I obtained a free baby crested duck from craigslist. I named this baby, Flower, and it was pals with Daisy. Now, I see there is no curl in the tail at all. I'm pretty sure she is a she. Her name was changed to Miro during the time I thought he may be a he and named him after my Italian friend. If indeed she is a girl, I will continue to say Miro, because that's what she's used to, but will think "Mira", like "look look" in Spanish.

My little 'herd' is 5-ducks strong. Four WH and one crested. So cute.
    My bigger 'herd', the geese, is 4-geese strong.

I am crazy over these babies. I feel bad for humans who don't have ducks or geese.

2. TracyLovesDucks

TracyLovesDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Wow! The way you incubated Daisy is quite amazing! Sounds like a lovely flock, indeed.

Would love to see pictures :)

3. andreacroyle

andreacroyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    Florida
    Your egg incubation is awesome! I live in the city and also got struck with the "waterfowl crazy" My friends look at me like I am crazy and my husband ......well he is sick of building things for the birds =) For me, it all started with an injured feral muscovy (they are everywhere here) this past April which turned into 5 muscovies, 3 cayuga x's, 2 pilgrim geese (1 special needs that is imprinted and lives on our house). We decided to move onto chickens 3 weeks ago (3 silkies, 3 obe hens)! One of the silkies we bought is a rooster. He now lives in our living room during quite hours so he can crow all he wants without the very close neighbors getting mad. I have realized that he only crows when he wants something. Chickens are a whole different world. We are currently making a chicken tractor! I love that it keeps us busy, its rewarding, they are so entertaining, each one has a different personality (even the three identical BB Red OBE hens) and it is very educational for my 10 yr old!

I agree! post pics!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  4. cogoose

cogoose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2014
    The only picture I have is one from a lady who came to take pictures at the farm. I will post it instead of my goose picture. (I'm not a techie)

The pictures are from the 1st week after Daisy was born. Probably when Miro was 10 days old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by