Welsummer 11 months and not laying!

Jadelijah

In the Brooder
Dec 14, 2020
So I bought several chicks from a hatchery in February of 2020. All of them have laid eggs (and stopped due to the shorter days.) Out of those chickens I had 2 welsummers, one had been laying eggs since at least September and the other STILL has yet to lay :( she is most definitely a hen. I check my yard regularly, EVERYWHERE. She is literally just not laying. I’ve heard of some hens that never end up laying. My other welsummer just passed away 2 days ago and I don’t want to give up hope on those beautiful brown speckled eggs. What are the odds that an 11 month old will start laying eggs by this spring?
A26635A9-01EC-44B3-BCCD-7C4C9A4C6C9E.jpeg
CB07A1A3-C5C2-4B2B-88E3-167D9B0050E0.jpeg
FFE90D77-E186-4F2D-B36E-38AE67D6B7ED.jpeg

Check her pelvic bone space? They're located just below the vent. If you can fit two fingers between them, she's either laying, or is close to laying eggs.

If they're tight, & you can barely fit a finger then, she's not ready.

Judging by her comb, she should be laying but probably dropping her eggs elsewhere than the nesting boxes. Look around the bushes and hiding places.

So I bought several chicks from a hatchery in February of 2020. All of them have laid eggs (and stopped due to the shorter days.) Out of those chickens I had 2 welsummers, one had been laying eggs since at least September and the other STILL has yet to lay :( she is most definitely a hen. I check my yard regularly, EVERYWHERE. She is literally just not laying. I’ve heard of some hens that never end up laying. My other welsummer just passed away 2 days ago and I don’t want to give up hope on those beautiful brown speckled eggs. What are the odds that an 11 month old will start laying eggs by this spring? View attachment 2479387View attachment 2479388View attachment 2479390
So I bought several chicks from a hatchery in February of 2020. All of them have laid eggs (and stopped due to the shorter days.) Out of those chickens I had 2 welsummers, one had been laying eggs since at least September and the other STILL has yet to lay :( she is most definitely a hen. I check my yard regularly, EVERYWHERE. She is literally just not laying. I’ve heard of some hens that never end up laying. My other welsummer just passed away 2 days ago and I don’t want to give up hope on those beautiful brown speckled eggs. What are the odds that an 11 month old will start laying eggs by this spring? View attachment 2479387View attachment 2479388View attachment 2479390
Hi! Did Louise ever start laying eggs? I am having similar issues with my welsummer. I got my chicks the first week of March 2021. They are all laying except 1 of 2 welsummers (Ethel). She is 9 months old and her comb is about half the size of Louise's in this photo. I hope she will start in the spring. Please give me hope.

Hi! Did Louise ever start laying eggs? I am having similar issues with my welsummer. I got my chicks the first week of March 2021. They are all laying except 1 of 2 welsummers (Ethel). She is 9 months old and her comb is about half the size of Louise's in this photo. I hope she will start in the spring. Please give me hope.

Back
Top Bottom