Welsummer Egg color (pic #17)

I bought my Wellies from a private breeder who has been breeding them for years - Mothergoose on here. I'm VERY pleased with the egg color (with two of my EE eggs beside):

firstWellieeggb.jpg

Yeah, that is very light!
Are you sure it came from a Wellie and not a buff Orp?
Maybe you are lucky and have a roo that will help with egg color but it is a long road. I'm dreading all the set backs I know we will have the next few years trying to get good egg color from all these hens.

I know I was not happy either when the Barnevelders didn't lay as dark as the Wellies. I have more pullets on the way but of course, it will be fall before I know if they will lay dark eggs for me.
It just takes careful breeding, culling and lots of time.

But I am with the above poster....bet they taste good!!
love.gif

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep to get the REAL thing, go to the breeders themselves. I do not buy hatchery birds if I want the real thing. However Estes Hatchery does have good Welsummers because they bought out Calicowoods Welsummer flock when the owner passed away. I got one of their pullets and she did lay a very dark terra cotta egg. All my others are from Mothergoose's flock and second gen from Calicowoods stock.

My girls are not laying just yet and hopefully soon in March! Sorry no roo to go with them but I can sell you infertile eggs for egg displays!

I got my birds from Estes Hatchery as well and I'm real happy with how they look and even happier with the egg color. I had 14 but sold and traded down to 4, kind of wish I had kept them all. Another plus is that Estes Hatchery if a family business and they are some real nice people to deal with.

Something I thought I'd mention: I sold 3 of my NSQ Welsie hens to a suburbanite chicken raiser who wasn't allowed to have roos. Thus, I got rid of my birds without killing them, my bad quality birds will get a good life but won't pass on undesirable genes, I made a profit off of them (I actually paid for most of my flock from those three pullets!), and those people got pretty birds that lay beautiful coppery eggs to show off to their friends. I got $40 for 3 hens, but they were from a richer district and I think they saw me as a country bumpkin.

Back
Top Bottom