Welsummer experts: which of these roos should go?

Gallusfarm

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Hello,

Looking for Welsummer experts to help me determine who I should sell... They really all look the same to me. Are there any positives or negatives that you can tell? I'm new to this breed. Thanks so much for the input.

36723_img_1161.jpg

36723_img_1158.jpg

The two from the above pic may be here also... Again, I can't tell them apart!
barnie.gif

36723_img_1145.jpg

Oh this is hard! They are terribly young to tell much for certain. Of course I understand wanting to lose a couple of them though. I always start getting rid of them when I know it's a bit too early! Too many roosters! Arrgg!

It looks like they all have mottled breasts and yellow legs, which is good. Any tiny feather stubs on any of the legs? (bad. very bad.) How many points on the combs? The Standard of Perfection calls for 5 points, so that's something I always look for.

Do you like one of them particularly? I ask that because I had a hard time choosing between my best two last time and I ultimately chose the one I was in love with. I just couldn't take my eyes off of him, he was so beautiful. I'm not even sure why I was more drawn to him than to his brother. They both had good points and bad ones. There is no perfect bird!

That said, I kind of agree that the guy in the first picture is a bit off color. He's in the middle in the last picture, right? My gut feeling is to pull him out and rehome him. With one gone, maybe you could keep the other two a little longer and let them mature more before you make the final decision.

Or just keep your fave!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I'm certainly not an expert, but I agree the first one has too much red in him. I posted this picture of my rooster, Moose, and was told on the welsummer thread that he is very nice. He's 6 1/2 months old here:
10225.jpg

SDC10229.jpg

That first guy doesn't seem to have near enough black on him. I'm not sure how big a deal it is, but I'm not crazy about the white tuft just above his rump either.

The first pic has too much red, he goes......

The second pic the roo looks better but still a bit more red to him. I wait and see how he comes out at maturity either to use him or cull him.

I noticed the tails have rust tint to them which you do not want it in a Welsummer. They supposed to be black with beetle green sheen to them or solid black, can have grey sheen to them.

Absolutely no leg feathers or stubs or white feathers popping up. No gold lacings either.

New2chooks and McSpin's roo pictures should give you a good example of what they should look like. In color, conformation and balance.

Back
Top Bottom