Welsummer Hen with splayed out leg, please advise!

OriginalTodd

Hatching
Feb 28, 2021
My Welsummer, Edith, has been limping for a couple of weeks. Three weeks ago we realized she was infested with mites, so one dosing of Ivermectin later, the mites were gone. We assumed her limp was mite related and would cure itself with plenty of protein.

Well here we are three weeks later and she keeps limping. As you can see in the images, she splays her left leg out in front of her (she does thing most of the time) and it feels like the tendons aren't there, especially when compared to her other, good, leg. When picked up, the leg either splays forward or just hangs there. I haven't seen her physically move the leg backwards or in a resting position in a while.

It feels like, with my amateur chicken vet skills, that she did something to either dislocate it at her torso or the tendons are hurt? I'm not sure though and would appreciate any help in diagnosis this issue and potentially fixing it. While she gets around alright, has been laying down more the last few days, left leg splayed out forward most of the time, but seems in good spirits. It seems awful for her not to have her legs working correctly, so if there's anything I can do i'd love to know.

I don't know that you can manipulate the leg to fix it, but vitamin B therapy does strengthen legs and B-6 helps restore nerve connections. If you get one of the heavier B-complex formulas, such as B-100, you will get the B-6 in it, along with other B-vitamins.

Trying to diagnose leg issues is something I've never had any luck with. Currently, I'm treating a pullet with leg issues very similar to what you describe. The B-therapy seems to be helping.

So if I were to buy some B-100s, grind them to powder and add to water for the whole flock, that would be good for them?

So you happen to know the amount I could give them?

Does your whole flock have weak and crippled legs? No? Then just treat the one chicken. I cut the tablets in half and give a half of a B-100 each day directly into the beak.

I wanted to update:

I have been giving her half a B-12 Complex pill each day. After a few days she seemed to move a little better, the left leg in question seemed to have gotten better. However, today I noticed her other leg, the original good leg, is now basically useless.

She isn't putting any weight on it, it hangs seemingly lifeless, and the talons are curled up into a half fist, but with a chicken foot. Her spirits still seem good and she loves to eat, but with a weakened initial leg and now this one going out, she either sits still or falls to her side.

Back
Top Bottom