Welsummer + Mosaic

CassieReeves

Chirping
Oct 26, 2022
Hey there! I didn't know exactly where to post this question but hopefully this location is a good fit. We're looking to breed our Mosaic rooster with our Mosaic hen. While we're at it, I thought to throw in our Welsummer hen and see what happens. Does anyone have a Mosaic and Welsummer mix that could share pictures? I'm curious what they would look like. We're very new to this, never bred before. We want to grow our Mosaic Flock(only have the 2) and the mix, we'd just keep to grow our hen stock. Please feel free to share experience with DOs and DONTs.

Thank you,
Cassie

Last edited:
We're looking to bread our Mosaic rooster
I find Panko bread crumbs to be the best. But others may have a different preference.
images

:D

Mosaics are Fibro, I think? So there might be some sex-linkage with the offspring from the Welsummer hen. @Amer or @JacinLarkwell have talked on it before. They might pop in and help you out.

This pretty lady is a Mosaic x Wyandotte. I know that’s not exactly the cross you were looking for, but I figured it might be helpful to see other crosses. The chicks were sex linked, which was nice for me, since I can’t have roosters. Leg color of the chicks indicate gender. Yellow legs are male, greenish legs are female.

Attachments

• D85F148C-7FAF-4A97-8544-B4F1D3387DFC.jpeg
    D85F148C-7FAF-4A97-8544-B4F1D3387DFC.jpeg
    586.9 KB · Views: 6
  • D97A7210-6672-4ED1-A822-4917287A2C54.jpeg
    D97A7210-6672-4ED1-A822-4917287A2C54.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 5
  • D077FFD5-B9EA-4E4A-92D3-A00DBEFF70C4.jpeg
    D077FFD5-B9EA-4E4A-92D3-A00DBEFF70C4.jpeg
    510.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 8CBCDA0C-003B-4CA6-8DAF-5F6ECC232053.jpeg
    8CBCDA0C-003B-4CA6-8DAF-5F6ECC232053.jpeg
    431.9 KB · Views: 5
I find Panko bread crumbs to be the best. But others may have a different preference.
images

:D

Mosaics are Fibro, I think? So there might be some sex-linkage with the offspring from the Welsummer hen. @Amer or @JacinLarkwell have talked on it before. They might pop in and help you out.
🤣 Dang it! I proofread that post twice before I sent it!! I couldn't find any posts about the 2 breeds but it could've been the keywords in my search. Thank you for your comment!

🤣 Dang it! I proofread that post twice before I sent it!! I couldn't find any posts about the 2 breeds but it could've been the keywords in my search. Thank you for your comment!
lol No worries. I don't think it was that specific cross, but I'm pretty sure Jacin has crossed Mosaics onto other breeds. I know Fibro is sex-linked when both parents don't carry it. But as I am a grumpy elitist that only breeds (for the most part) pure-bred English Orpingtons in various varieties, I don't know much about genes they don't carry, like fibro. :)
Miss Congeniality - Grumpt Elitist.gif

lol No worries. I don't think it was that specific cross, but I'm pretty sure Jacin has crossed Mosaics onto other breeds. I know Fibro is sex-linked when both parents don't carry it. But as I am a grumpy elitist that only breeds (for the most part) pure-bred English Orpingtons in various varieties, I don't know much about genes they don't carry, like fibro. :)
View attachment 3368487
My I have not used a welsummer, but I think brown leghorns look similar enough it should be close with what I've had.

Males will be easy to tell apart from pure mosaic males. Females... not as much depending on their colors. Personally if you're gonna have both in the pen, I'd either use hens with no single comb genes or only hatch one type of egg at a time so you can tell which females are which.

Here's a pair of sexlinks I hatched. The female had some lacing because her mother did, but you can see how her armpit was just as dark as a mosaic's. The male on the other hand is just a regular chicken.
20220906_175653.jpg
20220906_175636.jpg
20220906_175352.jpg
20220906_175522.jpg

Thank you for the pictures and than you for the advice! I'd like to think I could keep track of the hens because I definitely have figured out the difference between the mosaic egg and Welsummer egg but I bet I'd lose track as they are maturing. That's your point on doing the breeding separate, right? I'm still learning and will definitely take this advice! Thanks again!
Yes, I would only hatch one at a time. Either mosaics or mixes, and raise them separately ir use wingbands when they're still young

My I have not used a welsummer, but I think brown leghorns look similar enough it should be close with what I've had.

Males will be easy to tell apart from pure mosaic males. Females... not as much depending on their colors. Personally if you're gonna have both in the pen, I'd either use hens with no single comb genes or only hatch one type of egg at a time so you can tell which females are which.

Here's a pair of sexlinks I hatched. The female had some lacing because her mother did, but you can see how her armpit was just as dark as a mosaic's. The male on the other hand is just a regular chicken.
View attachment 3368502View attachment 3368503View attachment 3368504View attachment 3368505
Thank you for the pictures and than you for the advice! I'd like to think I could keep track of the hens because I definitely have figured out the difference between the mosaic egg and Welsummer egg but I bet I'd lose track as they are maturing. That's your point on doing the breeding separate, right? I'm still learning and will definitely take this advice! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom