Welsummer or brown leghorn or cross

Pet

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2021
Hello to all
I recently got this chick. Approx 1 week old. Not sure if its a welsummer or leghorn or a cross of both or something completely different. Your suggestions opinions greatly appreciated. I am in australia. Oh and the legs are a light yellow. I know its early but gender suggestions if possible. Thanks again.
20220220_110857.jpg
20220220_110927.jpg
20220220_110840.jpg
20220220_110946.jpg

Where did you get it (that can help narrow it down). Do you have any more chicks?
It was from a pen with all different breeds in it. Owner said she wasnt sure if it was a welsummer or leghorn .Only have the one of this breed. Also have 2 x barnvelders 3 day olds.

Thanks for the replies. Any other suggestions. Other websites say leghorns. So confused.

It was from a pen with all different breeds in it. Owner said she wasnt sure if it was a welsummer or leghorn.
Those breeds look very much alike as chicks. They have the same basic color for chick down and for adult feathers. They also have the same color legs (yellow) and the same comb type (single). Of course neither one has feathered legs, a crested head, or anything else that would stand out.

As it grows up, you may be able to tell by things like body shape and comb size (leghorns have bigger combs, are more slender than Welsummers, and carry themselves a bit differently.)

If it's a female, you will be able to tell for sure when it starts laying eggs (Welsummer brown, Leghorn white.)

But at this age, and for quite some weeks to come, you probably will not be able to distinguish between those breeds.

Hi. Chick #1 is a barnevelder any suggestions as to gender. 4 weeks old. Many thanks.

Chick #2 is either brown leghorn or welsummer. 4 weeks old. Any guesses on gender or breed please.

Chick #2 is the same chick in the start of post.
Greatly appreciate any comments.

20220321_074407.jpg
20220321_074434.jpg

#2 looks female to me (breast color and comb-- Brown Leghorn males and females have different breast colors.)

#1 I think might be male (comb), but I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks for the reply. Im still not sure if chick 2 is a leghorn or welsummer.

Back
Top Bottom