Welsummer or Cream Legbar? Tail/no tail

Acbrooksy

Hatching
Jul 3, 2022
I ordered 3 female Welsummers. Unfortunately one didn’t make transport. But now I have the two and one is smaller and lighter and doesn’t have a tail! When reading about sexing Welsummers they don’t mention tail but mainly the eyeliner mark and the triangle head which they both seem too have. They are about 12 days old. So is one a rooster or is it another breed, possibly cream legbar? Any ideas?

Attachments

• 48A9F50A-3055-47AC-8E2C-96E78D752137.jpeg
    48A9F50A-3055-47AC-8E2C-96E78D752137.jpeg
    420.3 KB · Views: 27
  • D1FF3BC6-4DFB-43F7-AF34-7BAE45233106.jpeg
    D1FF3BC6-4DFB-43F7-AF34-7BAE45233106.jpeg
    636.1 KB · Views: 10
one is smaller and lighter and doesn’t have a tail!
That can happen even for chicks that are the same breed and the same gender. Some chicks just do grow faster than others, and some do grow their feathers faster than others.

When they grow feathers in their breast, you can probably be sure of the gender if they really are Welsummers: females grow salmon-colored breast feathers, while males grow black breast feathers.

There are quite a few other breeds with chipmunk-striped chicks, and I don't think it's possible to sort them all out when they are that young. Many of them have the same gender-specific difference in breast feathers that Welsummers do, but some do not.

It's too early to be sure, but I think the hatchery probably did send female Welsummers, as you ordered.

That can happen even for chicks that are the same breed and the same gender. Some chicks just do grow faster than others, and some do grow their feathers faster than others.
You are so true! They can be differences in size, I never notice the hair growth but glad to know! The noticeable tail caught my eye but your right it will grow in time! Thank you!
oh that makes sense! This could be true. Thank you!

I would wait until the chest feathers come in. I had 2 of these little too. And I honestly thought they were welsummers. Their personality was always “leave me alone”, so it never fit. However, I was thinking that maybe it was just because they weren’t going to be the typical welsummer. But as they got older the points in their comb changed. So I asked around and it turns out that they are both female because of their light brown chest but are Brown Leghorns. And everything else falls into place to match that breed.

This is of what I call my twins…we have finally named them Lilo and Stitch. They fit that personality very well. They were much younger here. I will get some pics today of what they look like.

Attachments

• 1CA02ACB-197C-4B1F-85AF-6B2FECA70B56.jpeg
    1CA02ACB-197C-4B1F-85AF-6B2FECA70B56.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 0B5974A4-BA1A-4BFE-9C0B-AD64E002F65C.jpeg
    0B5974A4-BA1A-4BFE-9C0B-AD64E002F65C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • 2FA911FF-4865-40C9-93F3-6A5FB79CCC9C.jpeg
    2FA911FF-4865-40C9-93F3-6A5FB79CCC9C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
I would wait until the chest feathers come in. I had 2 of these little too. And I honestly thought they were welsummers. Their personality was always “leave me alone”, so it never fit. However, I was thinking that maybe it was just because they weren’t going to be the typical welsummer. But as they got older the points in their comb changed. So I asked around and it turns out that they are both female because of their light brown chest but are Brown Leghorns. And everything else falls into place to match that breed.

This is of what I call my twins…we have finally named them Lilo and Stitch. They fit that personality very well. They were much younger here. I will get some pics today of what they look like.
They do look very similar to yours!! I think one might be leghorn! These chicks are friendly (grant it they are in my house and handled often. It might just be too early to tell! I’ll definitely have to pay attention to the chest

They do look very similar to yours!! I think one might be leghorn! These chicks are friendly (grant it they are in my house and handled often. It might just be too early to tell! I’ll definitely have to pay attention to the chest
Mine are in my home as well and have been handled a lot too. Just from day one they don’t like it and haven’t learned to like it. You very well may have welsummers.

Mine are in my home as well and have been handled a lot too. Just from day one they don’t like it and haven’t learned to like it. You very well may have welsummers.
Hopefully!! Fingers crossed. It’s always fun to watch them grow and change looks. We’ll see!! Thanks

Hopefully!! Fingers crossed. It’s always fun to watch them grow and change looks. We’ll see!! Thanks
It is fun! I had like 5 yellow chicks when I first got them and then all 5 turned a completely different color from each other. My kids wanted to name them and claim them right away and I had to explain that they change so much you won’t know what you named who.

I'm raising some welsummers for a friend. They were all supposed to be girls but one is definitely a cockerel. I'll post pictures of the male and a female so you can see the major color difference. They are 6 weeks old today.

Attachments

• PXL_20220704_141339631.jpg
    PXL_20220704_141339631.jpg
    757.8 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20220704_160448634.jpg
    PXL_20220704_160448634.jpg
    905.2 KB · Views: 11
I'm raising some welsummers for a friend. They were all supposed to be girls but one is definitely a cockerel. I'll post pictures of the male and a female so you can see the major color difference. They are 6 weeks old today.
Better chance of being well summer

Back
Top Bottom