Welsummer or Speckled Sussex chicks - photos added

chickenmama22

Songster
12 Years
Aug 29, 2007
I ordered 10 each of 3 different breeds from Welps: Golden Lakenvelders, Welsummers and Speckled Sussex. They came separated and labelled and I put little rubber leg bands on them for identification purposes. They fell off :(

The Golden Lakenvelders are easy to ID with a golden yellow head and black/gray body. The Welsummers and Speckled looked the same to me (wild type/striped backs).

They will be one week old tomorrow. Some of the wing feathers are white -- like one on a wing. Is it safe to assume that's a Speckled Sussex? There is a slight difference to the wing feathers -- one is brown with tiny dots. The other might have a darker lace-like border.

To confuse matters, I received 11 Lakenvelders, 18 wild type chicks and 2 "brownish red" solid colored chicks (no wild striped pattern markings, but their wings are starting to look like the Welsummers). I know you want pictures. I'll try to get some posted.

Thanks in advance,
Nancy

Last edited:
If the chicks are true to the SOP (standard of perfection) the welsummers should have yellow legs whereas the speckled syssex chicks should have white legs.

Thanks, I haven't looked at the legs closely enough. I wonder if they are yellow or white from when they hatch?

Here are 3 pictures:

I think this kind, with an occasional white feather, is a Speckled Sussex.

The one below has a different feather color. Could this be Welsummer?

We received 2 that didn't have the "wild" pattern stripes. They were mostly a rich mahogany brown color. Now they are showing wings that look like the one above.

What do you think? I will look at their feet during the day.

The white tips would be SS. In hatchery birds, white wingtips are common. And the one you think is Welsummer does look like a Wellie. However, those two mahogany oddballs aren't either breed. Do they offer Barnevelders? I'm wondering if they subbed a couple to fill your order?

The white tips would be SS. In hatchery birds, white wingtips are common. And the one you think is Welsummer does look like a Wellie. However, those two mahogany oddballs aren't either breed. Do they offer Barnevelders? I'm wondering if they subbed a couple to fill your order?

Thanks! No, they don't offer Barnevelders. They could have subbed something else, but they didn't indicate any substitutions on the labels. Sometimes they do.

Here's the same mystery chick at 1 month. Does it still look like partridge rock?

Hmm, my picture isn't working. I'll try again later...

Hi! I am having the same problem you did a few years ago. I got speckled sussex and welsummer too. Did the ones with the white wing feathers turn out to be SS? I suspect my two with the white wing feathers are my SS and I'm just trying to confirm it. Thanks for you help!

Hmm, I don't remember, but the key really is the leg color. Speckled sussex have very white legs which may look pink when young. Hope that helps!

I think the mystery birds were dark cornish.

Back
Top Bottom