Welsummer or speckled Sussex? Hen or roo? I’m so confused!

Hi everyone, this is my 4 week and 1 day old Welsummer (allegedly). They did say it could be a speckled Sussex bc they look very similar as day olds. Is this a true Welsummer and if so is it a roo? Comb is just starting to turn slightly pink. Unsure if this chest feathering counts as “black feathering” that males have, or if it’s possible it’s a speckled Sussex pattern? Tail is very short compared to my other 5 chicks. Thanks so much
E4840546-A569-43FD-A429-C48A3A5AFBCD.jpeg
This is my speckled Sussex at 5 ish weeks. Her tail feathers are smaller than the other breeds I have too. She developed her comb early but no pink. Post updated pics if you have them.

4 weeks when I took the picture.
He's now 8 weeks old.
Thank you!! Mine is taking so long to feather out, I can't tell if the chest will be speckled or will be brown? I'm new to chickens so unfamiliar with both breeds, but I thought that the wings looked like a Welsummer. I guess time will tell for both breed and gender! Thanks for your pics

View attachment 2162499
This is my speckled Sussex at 5 ish weeks. Her tail feathers are smaller than the other breeds I have too. She developed her comb early but no pink. Post updated pics if you have them.

Oh wow, the wing pattern is so similar to a welsummer I had no idea!! Hmm maybe mine really is a speckled sussex? Those pics were from yesterday, I will try to get more today in better lighting, it's hard with the red lamp in the room to get true coloring. Do you know what your chick's chest feathers were like around week 4?

Thank you!! Mine is taking so long to feather out, I can't tell if the chest will be speckled or will be brown? I'm new to chickens so unfamiliar with both breeds, but I thought that the wings looked like a Welsummer. I guess time will tell for both breed and gender! Thanks for your pics
You're welcome.
Some chicks do take forever to feather out. My Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock pullet took 7 weeks to fully feather, & catch up with her friends.

Oh wow, the wing pattern is so similar to a welsummer I had no idea!! Hmm maybe mine really is a speckled sussex? Those pics were from yesterday, I will try to get more today in better lighting, it's hard with the red lamp in the room to get true coloring. Do you know what your chick's chest feathers were like around week 4?
When I got her she was supposed to be two weeks but when I posted pics here folks suspected she was older. Her chest was light and came in brown with a few white spots. None of these photos except chick photo represent her chest very well. May not be much help. EED7F25C-6520-493D-B9D3-C1DD0FF44518.jpeg 93E74456-EF26-4302-A3E2-E129796279F9.jpeg 0509B22D-7020-4A32-874D-06D016CEA842.jpeg 9BAD8E65-CCF3-489E-BB9D-AB36B3C3485A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom