Welsummer or what?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by teamsunbelt, Sep 23, 2011.

1. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    I picked up a few new chickens a couple weeks ago. I was told I was buying Welsummers, but I only expected one to be. The other two I was not sure about. It was a package deal that included some hatchable eggs and 4 chickens.

Never mind the Golden Comet in front, wrong coop during picture time. I believe the one with yellow legs is a Welsummer, about 4 months old. The other two have green/slate legs and the bigger one has a few feathers on her shanks. The smallest one is about 2-3 months.

[​IMG]

A single picture of the oldest stranger.

[​IMG]

I have seen a couple EE that look like these and a breed called Dutch. They may be crosses as well. They were all hatched by the guy I bought them from, he said he was told they were Welsummers.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'd say crosses. Can't really see the 2nd girl well enough, but if the first one is pure - she's not the proper coloring. She almost looks like a RIR or Production Red/wellie cross.

3. teamsunbelt

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    Quote:They were actually under the coop when I took that picture. The color may be a little off. Being new, they are not fans of me and the camera yet. Her color to me is very similar to the Welsummer I had. The other two are really different. The green legs is what gave it away to me first that they were not Welsummers. They are bound for my egg laying flock in a few more weeks.

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Even pure welsummers can give you improper colored ones that should be layers only.

Properly colored welsummer:
    [​IMG]

Improperly colored one I hatched from another breeder culled to a laying flock.
    [​IMG]

Both are pure welsummers. But they would never ever have green legs.

5. teamsunbelt

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    That top bird is amazing looking. I have no intentions of breeding these, unless as a mix. I quess I will know for sure when the eggs start to drop. The first Welsummer I had was lost a few weeks ago. This is an attempt at replacing those dark speckled eggs. Since the other two are not, then maybe we get a green egg soon as well.

6. lynn1961

lynn1961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    Welsummers are a mixture of different breeds to produce the welsummer breed, sometimes you get birds that do not meet the standard description of a welsummer. They are beautiful birds none the less. Seems to me that when we hatch chicks we get a few non standard birds, the non standard one seem to grow bigger all the way around, they end up going to the layer flock or crock pot. Most times when they are newly hatched you will be able to pick them out as they will not have the proper markings and the darker coloring. Ther are a lot of links on here about welsummers.

7. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:I have a chicken that looks just like your second! I was told she was a new hampshire. She lays the prettiest dark egg. Not near as dark as a marans but very dark. Could she be a welsummer? She came from atwoods which gets theirs from ideal.

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I have a chicken that looks just like your second! I was told she was a new hampshire. She lays the prettiest dark egg. Not near as dark as a marans but very dark. Could she be a welsummer? She came from atwoods which gets theirs from ideal.

Do you have pictures of her? I'll take a look.

9. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Thank you. That's Cocoa, and she's now in my breeding flock.

10. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok

Do you have pictures of her? I'll take a look.

Yeah, here she is: I wish I had a picture of her egg. I was told she was a new hampshire, which is what I have always called her. I love her egg, but she is mean and so we are giving her to my brother lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by