Welsummer possibly a cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Alexandra33, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Never had a baby start pinking up slightly at almost 2 weeks of age....[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The definite pullet for comparison.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's feathering in darker than the girlie....kind of odd.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks!
    ~Alex

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  2. Melody the Goat

Melody the Goat Out Of The Brooder

It does look like 'she' might be a cockerel. A little bit too early to tell though. One of our chicks is a Welsummer as well (and a pullet), and she definitely doesn't have that big/pink of a comb and she's around three weeks old.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You should know more in the next few weeks. It's legs look thicker but I'm not seeing cockeral currently, and it looks to be feathering like a pullet. Most you can tell by 4-5 weeks of age.

4. Melody the Goat

Melody the Goat Out Of The Brooder

Also two of his toes (one on each foot) look bent the wrong way. Is her/his toes normally like that or is it just the pictures?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some end up with curled toes. I read it's from improper incubation temperatures, and some say deficiency. I get an occasional chick with off toes and they do fine.

6. Alexandra33

Will definitely be keeping an eye on this little little one. I know it's pretty early. [​IMG] I'm just not used to "pullets" developing so quickly.

Absolutely! [​IMG] Your input is greatly appreciated! [​IMG]

You're not seeing things, it's got crooked toes. [​IMG] I've had a few birds with this before. [​IMG] Thanks for being kind enough to notice!

~Alex

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    You'll know as soon as the chest comes in. Male Welsummers have a black chest while females have a salmon chest.

Definitely looking male all around.

Put the chicks on Chick Saver or such for the B vitamins. You can even put the concentration a bit higher than package recommendation for a couple of days then lower back to standard dosage.

Sometimes it is incubating temps, sometimes genetics, often vitamin B deficiency either in the chick feed or left over from deficiency in the egg. If it is vitamin deficiency, a couple of weeks will make all the difference. If it isn't, no harm done.

LofMc

1 person likes this.
  10. Alexandra33

Thank you, everyone! [​IMG]

LofMc, I will definitely do that! It could possibly aid in correcting the crooked toe issue?
    [​IMG]
    Snapped a quick picture of the boy last night. Almost positive now that at two weeks old, this is a cockerel. Also, his chest feathers are beginning to look less salmon and more black.

~Alex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by