Welsummer Roo cross Light Sussex hen

matchook7

Hatching
6 Years
May 1, 2013
South Australia
Hi I know this has been discussed before but I have not the time to go through old posts I have a Welsummer Roo cross Light Sussex hen chicks hatching at the moment so far these look like a Welsummer or a plain browny gold colour Does that mean they are all girls so far? Also can this breed be feather sexed? Thank you very much

Hi I know this has been discussed before but I have not the time to go through old posts I have a Welsummer Roo cross Light Sussex hen chicks hatching at the moment so far these look like a Welsummer or a plain browny gold colour Does that mean they are all girls so far? Also can this breed be feather sexed? Thank you very much
The breed cannot be feather-sexed, but they can be auto-sexed. Welsummer x Light Sussex should produce sex-linked chicks, so I'd say that it's safe to say you have all females.

The breed cannot be feather-sexed, but they can be auto-sexed. Welsummer x Light Sussex should produce sex-linked chicks, so I'd say that it's safe to say you have all females.
What would males of this cross be? Im hatching a female Welsummer with a light sussex roo. Does anyone have pics of what the chicks would look like?

What would males of this cross be? Im hatching a female Welsummer with a light sussex roo. Does anyone have pics of what the chicks would look like?

I have only seen pics of the offspring of a Partridge Wyandotte roo with light Sussex hen. I think the males should look similar to this white collared male below, (tawny bird with black collar is the female in this example), but that is only a guess. I came here to find out the same thing! 🤣

Attachments

• F1-Offspring.jpg
    F1-Offspring.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Partridge-Wyandotte-X-Light-Sussex_805x460.jpg
    Partridge-Wyandotte-X-Light-Sussex_805x460.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 20

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220605-014944_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20220605-014944_Brave.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20220605-015002_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20220605-015002_Brave.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 21
This is a typical sex linked cross. Any gold plumage rooster (eg Welsummer, Barnevelder, Wyandotte, Rhode Island Red ) put over a silver plumaged pullet (eg Light Sussex , Silver Wyandotte, White Wyandotte, Silver Campine, White Orpington ) will produce sex linked chicks. The chicks will be easily identifiable, as pullets will carry the gold gene colouring from dad, being a dark buff colour as day olds . Whilst cockerels will carry the silver gene like the mum and be a light yellow.

This is a typical sex linked cross. Any gold plumage rooster (eg Welsummer, Barnevelder, Wyandotte, Rhode Island Red ) put over a silver plumaged pullet (eg Light Sussex , Silver Wyandotte, White Wyandotte, Silver Campine, White Orpington ) will produce sex linked chicks. The chicks will be easily identifiable, as pullets will carry the gold gene colouring from dad, being a dark buff colour as day olds . Whilst cockerels will carry the silver gene like the mum and be a light yellow.
This post is from last May, so it would be great if OP would come back and update. In reading carefully, they did not ask about crossing red over silver, they crossed silver over red. Or else they miss-typed. Would I be correct in guessing that crossing silver over red would in fact yield all buff chicks i.e. no sex linkage?

Back
Top Bottom