Welsummer....roo or hen? PART II

JAK Rabbitry

Songster
10 Years
May 22, 2009
Freedom, PA - Pittsburgh area
So I posted a few months back on the topic of a Wellie hen I'd purchased from a local guy. I wasn't seeing any eggs from 'her' and thought I say the beginnings of spurs, so I posted here to see if someone could set me straight. The votes were that this was indeed a hen and I should see eggs soon.

Well that was months ago. I still haven't gotten a single egg from this girl, who now has to be around 8-9 months old. And now she's sporting 3/4" spurs. pics included.

So In light of this info, I just want to double check and see what you all think now.

W1.jpg

W4.jpg

W2.jpg

W3.jpg

Definitely a hen. Roosters have different coloring than hens for starters, she doesn't have saddle or hackle feathers or a big enough comb. It is not unusual for a hen to have spurs. Not sure why your girl is not laying, but she is definitely a hen.

Quote:
oh bugger. I'm kind of tired of waiting on her. All the other chickens in my coop lay either light brown or green eggs. There can't be a mistake unless she's that poorly bred and has in fact been laying.....green or biege/cream colored eggs this whole time.

What if I just squeeze her? Egg?

PUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLet!
lol.png

Some girls will have the spurs, depending on the genetic make up on her parents. Usually the older ones get them. I would not worry about it at all if you are using her for egg laying purposes.

Are you certain of her age? she may be getting ready to lay due to the look of her comb and wattles OR on her way OUT of egg cycle for the year. Or someone got an egg eater in the lot!

Quote:
She has matured since I got her, definitely grown. I think it's safe to say the man who sold her to me didn't lie about her age. I've had her since....late spring I think. April May ish? And she was supposedly on the brink of laying then....about 5 months old.

So where's muh eggs?!

Back
Top Bottom