Welsummer Rooster

northwestchick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 3, 2013
Bremerton, WA
Hello,
One of my pullets has turned into a beautiful Welsummer Rooster. We live close to our neighbors, but it is not against code for us to have a rooster. I actually kind of "like" him. What are your thoughts on keeping it?

Last edited:
We also live close to neighbor's even though we have an acre. I have close to 50 laying hens and 3 roosters, one of which is also a Welsummer. At first one of the neighbors complained of the crowing but has since been quiet about it, might have been me pointing out her three dogs bark non stop throughout the day lol, if you are allowed a rooster I wouldnt worry our roosters only crow three or four times during the day.

A rooster is a pleasant sound, a long ways away. If your coop is close to another's house, it can be highly irritating. A home should be a place of security and peace, destroying that for a neighbor is not right. Don't wait for your neighbor to complain, go an talk to him about the possibility of this being a rooster, how you would like to try and keep him, but that you do realize that it is close to his house, and if it is a problem, you will take care of it.

Some roosters crow only occasionally, Some crow considerably more often. Some crow in the middle of the night.

Mrs K

I agree, talk to your neighbor. Mine have always been fine with my roosters, but they're not right outside their window, either. Open lines of communication are always the best bet.

A rooster is a pleasant sound, a long ways away. If your coop is close to another's house, it can be highly irritating. A home should be a place of security and peace, destroying that for a neighbor is not right. Don't wait for your neighbor to complain, go an talk to him about the possibility of this being a rooster, how you would like to try and keep him, but that you do realize that it is close to his house, and if it is a problem, you will take care of it.

Some roosters crow only occasionally, Some crow considerably more often. Some crow in the middle of the night.

Mrs K

And sometimes the coop can be over 1/2 acre from the neighbors house and they still complain.. Sure talk to the neighbor but at the end of the day its your property. Maybe I am a bit jaded as my neighbor wants peace and quiet but also has three dogs that bark at anything right outside our living room window and she tells me that the dogs are on her property and doing what dogs do lol.. I told her that the roosters are doing what roosters do.

Shoot, were also adding a couple butcher pigs to the mix in March
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom