Welsummer vs Bielefelder Breed ID + Gender

cmbretz

In the Brooder
May 3, 2023
We have two chicks that we ordered from Murray McMurrray Hatchery that my husband and I cannot quite determine breed on. They are part of a mixed flock we ordered with several breeds of all females (supposedly). We know these two should be a Welsummer and a Bielefelder, but cannot figure out who is who yet. We're also starting to wonder if our one is actually a male. Pictures are included below, with our Clove being green and Piper (who we're thinking might be male?) in red. I know we'll be able to get our answers eventually, but wanted to see if anyone has any ideas!

Birds the day they arrived:

1WK_Clove_Piper.JPG

About 1 - 2 weeks old:

2WK_Clove_Piper.JPG

3 weeks - Piper (red) - first to start developing a comb out of the entire group

3WK_Piper_Front.jpeg

3 weeks - Piper - shortest tail feathers of the group

3WK_Piper_Back.jpeg

3 weeks - Piper (red) & Clove (green)

3WK_Clove_Piper.JPG

3 weeks - Clove (green)

3WK_Clove_Front.jpeg

3 weeks - Clove

3WK_Clove_Side.jpeg

My opinion is that neither of them is a Welsumer or Beilefelder. I'm seeing green legs on one, and neither has a salmon breast, which females from both breeds should have. I suspect they are some type of Easter egger, and I think Piper is probably a cockerel. Others will probably have different opinions, so stay tuned.

My opinion is that neither of them is a Welsumer or Beilefelder. I'm seeing green legs on one, and neither has a salmon breast, which females from both breeds should have. I suspect they are some type of Easter egger, and I think Piper is probably a cockerel. Others will probably have different opinions, so stay tuned.
Oh dear.

Maybe not perfect coloring aside, since they are autosexing, wouldn't both birds have looked much different at hatch if she were a he? There's also dark chest feathers coming in.
hredirect2 (9).jpeg

I think Clove (cute name!) may be a Bielefelder. Clearer pic may help so we can see coloring better.

If it helps I'm raising a Beile right now who is 5 weeks old. Here are pics of her at 3 weeks. See her lighter chest feathers and yellow legs.

Attachments

• 20230419_082425.jpg
    20230419_082425.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230420_162522.jpg
    20230420_162522.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 13
Here are some slightly clearer pictures from the front I just took.

Piper (red):

78CB3170-1AAF-45E6-BF48-6E7520133F3D.jpeg

87B54FAC-F41C-4F01-A161-A14B8C23F076.jpeg

Clove (green):

132A93AE-D1BD-4138-A79D-6186E8BD82AF.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom