Welsummers NOT laying yet.......

aliskeeper

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 19, 2012
Hickman CA
Ive heard that the Welsummer is slow to mature...but this seems like too long..
mine have not yet began to lay....they are 7 months...maybe I have my age wrong?..they LOOK fully mature to me :-/

Can anyone fill me in... maybe?
I would be ever so grateful :)

Thanks
Aliskeeper

Pics?

The only thing I know is do they free range and do you need to go on an egg hunt. I've not heard Wellies being slow to mature, so not much help there.

Hey--noticed you're from Hickman. I grew up in Denair!

Oh Thats cool!..I LOVE Denair!! ..

No..they dont free range..to many hawks and varments during the DAY!!!
Ill send pic tommarrow

I thought it odd that they werent laying yet..only 2 hens and 2 roos...thats why I need them to lay!!!

Thanks

Oh Thats cool!..I LOVE Denair!! ..

No..they dont free range..to many hawks and varments during the DAY!!!
Ill send pic tommarrow

I thought it odd that they werent laying yet..only 2 hens and 2 roos...thats why I need them to lay!!!

Thanks

Sounds like you need 4 hens and 2 dinners. ;):D

OK, I can provide some information about my Welsummers.
I got them in late April as chix, so they are 6.5 months old.
None of my girls are laying, and they don't have access to a place where they can hide eggs.
I thought they were late to lay. Something about bred for egg size and color rather than egg production.
With the diminished light here, they may not lay until Spring for me.
I'm OK with that.
Hope this has helped as a comparison for you.

They don't need layer feed until they actually start laying. The Welsummers I had last year took Forever to start laying, and were never great layers or very personable - pretty though.

Welsummers are good layers (approx 150-200 eggs per year) .. But nothing like a Leghorn that can lay close to 300.

I wouldn't worry too much. My Wellies were late bloomers ,,, they started laying at least a month or two after the EEs I bought started laying eggs. Give it another few weeks, and maybe until the Spring. But it will happen.

Back
Top Bottom