Welsummers?

Welbies

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 25, 2009
Hello Friends,
We are new to the chicken world, and have incubated eggs and had six hatch today. Three of them are really cute brown with chipmunk stripes down their back. I thought (from previous posts) that we identified them as Welsummers, but ours came out of white eggs, not brown.

Does anyone know what breed they are?

Unfortunately I don't understand how to post pictures to show you.

Thanks for your input!!

Do they have sleek or poofy cheeks? What color legs? How small are they?

My first thought based on your description would be an old english game. What size egg did they come out of?

Last edited:
brown leghorns?
I thought this one was really special but she's "just" a brown leghorn.
She's still special.

Last edited:
I agree, most likely brown leghorn
where did you get the eggs? there is a chance they are mixes if they came from a farmstand....

Last edited:
Ameraucana chick? We have a dark and a light Ameraucana chick and the dark one looks just like a pic of a baby welsumer, with the chipmunky coloring.

Hello Friends,
Thank you so much for your replies. I think you all are right, they are probably brown leghorns.

In response to your questions: it came from a medium sized egg, but the three birds are kind of small. We have two others that are yellow chicks, that came out of smaller shells, but from day one the yellow ones were bigger than the brown ones.

And lastly, they have orange-ish legs.

One last question--- it seems people are sexing welsummers by the stripe on their head, can the same be done for brown leghorns?

One of my chicks had a very defined dark stripe on the top of her head, but the other two are more cloudy. Can something about their sexes determine this??

Thanks again!!!
From the new backyard farmer on the block
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom