Wendigo quit laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barb Root Hinkkanen, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Barb Root Hinkkanen

Barb Root Hinkkanen Chirping

Aug 19, 2017
    My two-year old Ameraucauna quit laying some time ago. First it was hot, then cold, then she was molting... She is happy and friendly and still no eggs. I have let her free range but am keeping her snd Penelope in for now. They have a nice coop, two big runs, and, love to perch on their saw horse.

They get treats and plenty of positive reinforcement. Penny lays every day. Wendi hasn’t laid in months. I’m baffled. Does anyone have any ideas?

HuskerHens18 likes this.
  2. Is she acting okay otherwise? It could be just her time to start her decrease in egg production.
    My ameraucana hen has not laid one egg since November, shes only a year and a half old. I dont know where you live, but its probably just not comfortable enough conditions for good egg laying.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ameraucanas, or more likely an Easter Egger, are often not prolific layers.
    Can you post some pics of her, full body shot and a close up of her head and comb?

Glad to see she did molt after reading this thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/perplexed-about-wendigo.1274244/

As long as she's eating/drinking/pooping and moving around OK,
    there's not likely anything you can do. She is just is not back in lay after her molt.

Positive reinforcement won't have much effect on laying.
    Too many treats could have a negative effect.
    They need a balanced diet to produce, some need more than others.

rebrascora and HuskerHens18 like this.
  4. Barb Root Hinkkanen

Aug 19, 2017
    I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

5. Barb Root Hinkkanen

Aug 19, 2017
    When I bought her she was supposed to be Ameraucana, but is an Easter Egger because she lays green eggs. She is getting a balanced diet and is happy and social. I guess maybe this is normal. Thank you.

6. WindingRoad

WindingRoad Songster

Nov 21, 2018
    Maine
    Oyster shell? How much protein in her feed. Is she getting feed or being pushed away.

7. Barb Root Hinkkanen

Aug 19, 2017
    Plenty of oyster shell, laying pellets, lots of treats. Her favorite is mealy worms. I only have two hens and she is the dominant one. She was a year old in October. She is very happy and is acting perfectly normal in every other way.

8. WindingRoad

WindingRoad Songster

Nov 21, 2018
    Maine
    Chickens don't lay 365 eggs a year as a routine. You can Google your hen's breed and find the average. She may not lay in a long stretch or she may skip a day or two. If she'd eating, pooping and drinking then she just may be taking her break. Your OP was early in Feb. has she started laying yet.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is the OS offered in a separate container....or mixed into the feed?
    What is the protein percentage of the layer feed?
    Look at the tag sewn into the bottom of bag.

What kind of treats other than the MW?
    Layer feed is meant to be the sole feed, the mealworms are a good animal protein supplement(in moderation) but other 'treats' may be diluting the nutrition in the layer feed.

If you're free ranging, she might laying out in range area.
    Here's some tips on how to tell.....
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

10. Barb Root Hinkkanen

Aug 19, 2017
    Yes, the oyster shells are in a separate container. She stays pretty close to the coop. I will keep her and Penny in the coop for a few days and see if maybe she has a hidden stash somewhere... Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: