Went into lockdown a day early on accident!!

birdbrain5

Songster
12 Years
Aug 2, 2010
he.gif
i just realized i should have went into lockdown TONIGHT not LASTNIGHT. does this matter much? i accidentally counted the night i put them in as one day, derr. should i do anything or just leave 'em be?

Its up to you, you could give em one last turn tonight if you want. But equally if you leave them be at this stage, they will be just fine!

Good luck for Monday!

Last edited:
ok great, that makes me feel better. i have had them flat all night and today, if i open the bator to give them a last turn can i put them into a carton upright or will that mess things up since they have been flat for a day now? i was just told a good way to put them in the carton and wish i had done it.. so maybe i could??

Just wanted to let you have a little ease of mind, My 1st hatch a couple weeks ago I was so excited that I added 8 more eggs 3 days after I set my 1st 18. I only had one incubator, so I figured I would just lock them down all at the same time. Which meant the 8 eggs would go into lockdown 3 days early, on their 15th day...all but one of them hatched! In fact, in Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens, she claims that eggs do not need turning after day 14. I would assume it is because they are so big by that time-they don't benefit from being turned as the reason for turning is so they don't get stuck in place.

Quote:
I have never read a book on incubating.. however I knew this for many years.. but I would never post it because of all the argument i would get about it..

I have run experiments where I never turned the eggs at all and had great hatches..

really? wow thats good to know. im going to "sneak" them into the cartons tonight to save myself some clean up.

To each their own, right?!?

I used cartons last time too, because I read that it is useful, especially for shipped eggs whose air sac could be in the wrong spot or something, it will help to keep their beak aimed up towards it and less chance of drowning.

Back
Top Bottom