Went through the fence

Erin80

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
We have a two level lot. Our upper yard is fenced with wire fencing, our lower yard is 2 acres and is not fenced. Our 9 week old pullets have been free ranging for 4 days now and all has gone great. Today, I noticed two of them have gone under the fence and are on the hill leading down to our lower yard. My question might be silly, but I'm new to this and learning. Will they remember how to get back into the yard? Or will I need to rescue them? They can't fit through the fence holes, so I know for sure they went under somewhere. I don't mind them on the hill, tons of coverage from the pines....my concern is that they will forget how to get back.

Chickens are amazingly good at remembering how to get out and bad at remembering how to get back in. After they go out a few times they'll know where to get back in no problem.

One got stuck. Lol. I heard squawking outside so I ran out to check, the other 4 were in the coop having a drink and one was right up against the fence looking very desperate. I rescued her. :hmm

I have a row of pens that is about 60 feet long. Sometimes young chicks go behind it them can't remember how to get back around sometimes I walk around and show them the way sometimes I just let them figure it out. Lol.

The problem with chickens trying to figure out how to get back to where they wish to be is that their thoughts are linear - one direction, a straight line. Chicks eventually learn their way around, but you can expect some to panic when they find they are prevented by some barrier from going from Point A to point B.

You've already discovered chicks are very, very loud when they panic.

Back
Top Bottom