Went to the feed ills around here and question about feed

Mskayladog

Songster
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
New Salisbury, Indiana, First flock
I really liked the smell of one of the feed mills feed, they gave me some to let the chickens try it and they seem to like. The feed does not look like TSC layer feed you can see ground corn chunks and wheat and oats it has added calcium and does contain some dust it's 16% protein and smells good enough to eat.

Now to the question does that sound like a good feed with the smallish chunks of corn in it?

Sounds like mash.

Chicken feed usually comes in one of three forms: crumbles, pellets or mash. They are just different forms of delivery. Crumbles are like little nuggets, sort of grape nuts -ish. Pellets are formed pellets and mash is a finer ground up feed with bits of corn and other stuff in it. One form isn't really better than another form - some people usually prefer one or another because they feel that form results in the least amount of waste.

What really maters are the ingredients in the food. That is what will determine if it is a good feed or not. organic/non organic? soy protein or animal protein? Lots of factors and a lot of it is personal preference.

Make sure ALL of your birds are laying hens if you are feeding a food with calcium mixed in. If you have rooster or a mixed age flock I would not use a layer or calcium added feed.

All layer has calcium. I think most people feed layer to their rooster because it seems easier but most will also admit that it is not good for them. A grower or flock raiser with calcium on the side will have the same results for your layers and will prevent your roosters and young hens from calcium build up that can cause long term health problems.

"Good" food is so objective that it's hard. To me personally it would not be a good food for a rooster. Would they likely be fine? Yes. Can it cause kidney failure? Yes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom