Went to TSC for some Blu-Kote and came home with......

I raised Mallards last year...brooded them in the house for the first couple of weeks...OMG...MESSY!!!

I put mine in the pond out back and they flew away in the Fall....well, actually it was winter, but they were raised to eat the duck weed in the pond. They didn't do it, they prefered the cracked corn I provided.

As adults they were NOT friendly, but tolerated anyone who had food for them....ate it off my shoe, but wouldn't eat it out of my hand.

And FAST? Wow....they were so fast I was never able to catch them once I put them in the pond and barely when they were in the "brooder" in my front porch.

I read a lot about them before I got them and everything I read said that they would return to where they were raised to lay their eggs and ducklings. (I'll let you know if that is true in April or so) They will lay 9 - 15 eggs, leaving them unattended until they determine they have laid enough, then the hen sits on them, the drake acting as diversion for predators. If all 9 ducklings hatch from each of my 3 hens and the babies return in 2012, I will be HIP deep in ducklings.

Google "raising Mallard ducks" and you will find everything you need to know about raising them ... BYC folk can help you with info on keeping them in your yard....which would probably require wing clipping....unless you want "part time" ducks.

Just curious, how much did TSC charge you for them? We have to order through our feedstore, they dont have them out like you seem to do in the states. Any kind of fancy duck is so expensive though, like up to $17 for a duckling and over $31 for a gosling! They arent even sexed, its nuts
barnie.gif

Quote:
They were $3.99 each and unsexed, which is why I got 4....figured my odds would be a little better.

I got chicks as day-olds back in September and they started laying a few weeks ago. So, my guard was up against chicks, but these guys were TOO CUTE
love.gif

Quote:
They were $3.99 each and unsexed, which is why I got 4....figured my odds would be a little better.

I got chicks as day-olds back in September and they started laying a few weeks ago. So, my guard was up against chicks, but these guys were TOO CUTE
love.gif

Wow, I think the Pekin ducks are $3.95
barnie.gif

I wish my feedstore would carry chicks and duckling without you having to order them, but then again, I would be overrun before long so maybe its not such a bad thing
gig.gif

I had decided to get chicks last September and ordered through Welp Hatchery in Iowa. I didn't know the local store had "chick days" until I walked in the other day.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom