We're about to go on a long trip and leave the chickens

The water doesn't need to be changed out every day if they can raise the waterer so the chickens don't poop in it. I change ours out every 3 or 4 days but I have read where some people here go a week.

We hang the feeder and the water is on concrete blocks inside and hanging outside. They hang about the height of the chickens back and they stay clean except algae on the outside waterer. There are several hanging designs here in by pages. You can make them cheap and possibly free with old stuff lying around.

Each to their own I guess.....I wouldn't want to drink stale water and I can't imagine the chickens enjoy it much either
sickbyc.gif

As with any animal in my household, I had my pet sitter take on the chickens' care while we were traveling. Well worth the few dollars to have peace of mind that my girls were being cared for in my absence.
smile.png

Last edited:
For trips we composed a water nipple system (like Hamsters use sort of) using PVC pipe attaching the red nipples to them, and a bucket that runs the water to it. You can find all kinds of stuff at Farmtek, or any place that supplies farm equipment really. I most recently had seen this water cup that is the size of a teaspoon and the water refills the little cuplet too, so those are ideas that my husband and I used to be able to make trips. Also before we used the nipple system we too simply lifted the water jug as your fellow BYC people suggested. If your going to keep chickens you will need to provide for the babies when your gone. Another suggestion, I paid my sons girlfriend to stay at me house, we do live far away so having someone drop by was sort of out of the question, but that depends on where you live. Good luck, happy vacationing
smile.png
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom