Were Finally Npip Certified

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by bishopschickens, Feb 22, 2011.

1. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    After a long time of searching for someone to test our birds we finally got in touch with someone. The paper work has been submitted and we will have our number by the end of the week [​IMG]. Feels good to be certified. We also plan on taking a course so we can test our own birds and others who have poultry so we don't run into this problem again. It really has been tough getting someone out here.

Brandon and Heather

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Thats great! [​IMG]

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    [​IMG] Congrats! [​IMG]

4. bishopschickens

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    Thank yall!

Brandon

5. FeatheredFeline

FeatheredFeline Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Northwest Washington
    Not to sound like the fresh hatched chickie that I am, but what does it mean to be Npip Certified?

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

NPIP is National Poultry Improvement Plan. It's a government program created in order to protect the food supply and tests mainly for Pullorum and Typhoid. Sometimes, depending on your state or if you pay extra, they will also test for Avian Influenza and on occasion, Mycoplasmosis, but usually, it's just P/T.

It's intent was not to certify flocks completely disease-free, which it doesn't. Most hatcheries are NPIP, but don't test for Mycoplasmosis. That must be done several times each year, not just annually, so they don't spend the extra $$$. Many breeders are NPIP, but most are probably not.

7. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Our program here is handled by the State Veterinarian. I am currently signed up for the High Risk Flock Avian Influenza Program. They come to your place twice a year and either swab 10 hens or you can submit a dozen eggs for testing. Our county wild waterfowl can be positive for avian influenza. The type of AI the waterfowl have is not harmful to the waterfowl, but can mutate and become harmful to domestic chickens. The program here is free. On the good side the State vet was saying he has not encountered any chickens testing positive but it is good to monitor as we do have lots of wet lands and just behind my place the state bought 45 acres and created a nice pasture into a designed wetlands due to freeway construction close by. Take some land out of natural wet lands and they have to put some back close by. I received my test results last week. All are A OKAY [​IMG] If my hatching projects turn out well I will be looking into the NPIP here.

8. bishopschickens

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    Thanks for answering Speckledhen [​IMG]. I was away from the computer since lastnight so didn't get to answer.

Brandon

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No problem. [​IMG]

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:They are supposed to swab 30 birds, unless you don't have that many birds. That is how many they have been doing here for the past three years. I am also in a high risk zone being close to the lake and a "fly zone" for wild geese.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by