We're gonna need a bigger coop...

Chido

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
El Monte
Three of my five chickens come from a neighbor's flock. This guy would let his chickens roam the street with no cares, and early in the year we'd often find dead chicks in the street. My brother in law found three young chicks one night in late March, managed to catch two, and found the other one dead and squished on the street the next day
sad.png
. A week later another tiny chick got into our backyard through under the fence. Poor thing was smelly and dirty, and had some blood on its beak. They became Rusty, Godzilla, and Megatron.

a couple of month later my BiL wanted to get a rooster because he felt that our small flock wouldn't be complete without one. Well, I knew of a person who raises chickens every year, and she had some brahma cockerels she had to rehome. So we adopted Roostroyer. A week ago my BiL saw a Barred Plymouth Rock hen at the feed store, and he bought it. Now, we're first generation Mexicans, and my BiL grew up in a small town in Mexico where his family kept chickens and other livestock. It was easy for him to just get all the chickens together as he bought the new one (her name btw is Spaghetti). So my small coop is almost at max capacity.

Fast forward to today. I come back from work and my nieces told me my BiL managed to catch one of the pullets that were left behind when the neighbor moved away with most of his flock. there are four young mutt pullets still roaming around, so he caught one, trimmed her wings, and tossed her in the backyard so the other chickens would meet her. Our chickens have their own enclosure so they can't fight through the wire with the new one, but I really wish he had waited to check the new pullet and see if she was healthy. Meh, what's done is done I guess, I just gotta keep an eye that nobody gets sick. The new pullet looks healthy, no mites, I'd say she's about 5 months old, and she has some good weight. With 6 chickens, my coop is full when they go to bed.

Now the problem: my BiL wants to catch and keep the other three stray pullets, so we're gonna have to get a second coop. I thought I was the one with the chicken addiction, but I think he got it worse XD. I'll take pictures of the new pullet when I can find my camera, and I guess I'll order some dewormer online to make sure everybody is healthy.

Edit: also my cockerel is such an easy boy. He's already doing his little dance to the new pullet, he has no shame
sad.png

Last edited:
I know D:. I don't quite want to keep this stray pullet, she is not used to people at all and this is the first time I have chickens, I don't think I'm ready to keep a wild chicken and socialize her properly
sad.png
. I'll see if I can convince my BiL to take the pullet to the feed store and she id they want it. I know they often sell and trade chickens there, my plymouth rock was somebody else's pet that had dropped her at the store when we were there, and my BiL saw her and bought her. I'd like to get a white or colombian colored playmouth for my roo, or a young light brahma, or any while/colombian pullet from a breed that reaches 6-8 pounds to keep my rooster company, and this new chicken is a tad small, probably 3-4 pounds at the most.

Does anybody know where I can get a standard light brahma pullet, about 4-5 months old, here in Los Angeles County?
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom