We're having 80 degree weather-when are my chickens going to lay??

salemskies

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
I got my chickens over the summer-near the beginning-and none of them are laying. We've been having warm weather but nuthin'! I don't know if I'm feeding them improperly but they get their food and I let them free range during the warmer hours of the day. Are they on strike?? Maybe they just don't like me??
barnie.gif

a dummy egg has always helped me get their acts in gear. Put an egg (from the store:( right in the nest box and hope that does the trick.

What breed? how old?

Egg laying has more to do with hours of daylight than tempature. Typically they need around 14 hours of daylight for full production.
If you let them free range are you sure they are not hiding the eggs on you.
How old are they?

Oh- and Salemskies... where are you located? The warm weather sounds great... but I believe it's the daylight hour time that increases egg production. If you are in the Southern Hemisphere then you might just have some more waiting game to do for these gals... if you are Northern, then the days are short right now and hens don't generally lay until they get longer. Anyone else?

80 degrees!
th.gif
Now where is that envious smiley?!

Sorry! I live in MT and it is 40 here today. Thats the warmest we have had in over a month. The wind makes it feel 20! I can hardly stand up out there and my power keeps threatening to go off!

I hope you get some eggs soon!
fl.gif

Thanks for the replies! Let's see, my oldest is about 7-8 months. She was supposed to be an ameracauna but I'm not even sure that she's an EE at this point. I have 4 EE's that are 6-7 months old (I wish I marked this on a calendar), 3 BR's that are about 6 months old, and some weird speckley chicken that I acquired from my friend that I'm guessing should also be laying soon.

I'm located in Southern California. The sun has been rising around 6:45 and setting at 5:30 to 6-I haven't really paid much attention to that. I have two RIR's that have laid nonstop since I've had them. They're now winding down since they are over 3 years old and only 1 is laying about maybe 3 eggs a week.

My friend-who lives about 10 minutes away-has 3 hens laying consistently. Are mine just lazy??
It would figure since that's just my luck
wink.png

Nah, your hens aren't lazy. As the others have said they need about 14 hrs. of daylight to be laying well. Also, does your friend have the same breed? Some breeds lay better in the wintertime than others.

I feed them 3 way scratch, table scraps...they eat plenty of bugs and grass. My bunny even snuggles up with them at night but he's also been puttin' the moves on them...
love.gif
he's a little confused, I think!

My friend has EE's laying (like what I have) and a RIR, I believe.

Oh, I also give them oyster shell.

They'll be nearly a year if they wait till spring!

Back
Top Bottom