We're having a hard time molting! Pictures

willkatdawson

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Ga
Everyone is molting and I've seen a good number of feathers floating across the lawn and in the coop, but I can't believe how hard it hit one of our hens. We look at her and just have to laugh. When we go down in the morings to let them out to free range it looks like a chicken exploded under the roost where she sits!

Oprah and Sweetie are looking a little thin but OK
8175_dscf3182.jpg

and Millie looks a little few of feathers as my DD puts it
8175_dscf3181.jpg

Poor Albert's wife. She's a wreck!! She looks like some kind of spikey dinosaur with her feathers growing in.
8175_dscf3179_edited.jpg

8175_dscf3172.jpg

One of my EE's is molting and she looks wayyyyy worse... I seriously thought she was attacked by something .. But then everyday she got a lil uglier...

Quote:
She does know she looks really bad. Today in the middle of the day I found her on the roost all by herself. It wasn't long after and she joined the group outside.

LOL i feel bad for em when they molt LOL theyre soooo much more pretty when theyre laying and have the big bright combs and just look all happy
tongue.png

My chickens are also moulting very horribly and it seems like it is much worse this year. I wonder if it was anything to do with the upcoming winter.

I just hope none of the others decide to lose so many feathers all at once. I'd worry they might get cool at night.

I am so glad you posted that picture! I have a buckeye that really looks like she has something way worse than a molt. Mine are really molting hard and fast. I was quite surprised at the fast onset. Could it be that they are better forcasters than the weathermen?
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom