Were is best to install solar light....run or hen house?

RunChixRun

Chirping
Feb 19, 2020
HELLO ALL,

I bought a solar panel and light to provide a couple extra hours of light a day to get my 7 hens laying a little more than what they currently are. Im getting about 2 eggs a week TOTAL compared to 6 a day. I want them to get a break but a couple eggs a day would be nice. My question is should I install the light in the run so they stay outside a bit longer (Im in CT. Its getting dark around 5) or in the hen house an when it gets dark they will go inside and get another 2 hours of light or so? Any opinions? Im all ears. Thanks everyone.

Josh Beatman
Norwalk CT

Supplemental lighting for winter laying needs to be timed consistently, every day.
Doubt you'll get that with an off the shelf solar light that comes on at dusk and lasts for however long the charge lasts.

Here's a pretty good article on supplemental lighting.

Can you set it to a timer? I keep my light (old clamp on style desk lamp) in the coop on a timer that maintains 15 hours a day. It comes on a little bit in the morning and goes off at sunrise and comes back on at sunset for awhile then goes off again. I adjust the times on and off as the season progresses until natural daylight reaches 15 hrs.

Back
Top Bottom