We're Moving! Need tips and tricks.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mrbstephens, Sep 24, 2011.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

We're moving in less than two weeks. Thankfully, only 10 minutes away in the same town. We're taking the chicken coop and 10 hens with us. I need tips on how to successfully do this. I should mention that where we are moving to is in the woods where there are many predators. Thanks in advance!

2. mrbstephens

[​IMG]

3. mrbstephens

What I'm trying to figure out is how to set up the coop and bring the hens over to the new place safely. I think I'll make a temporary pen that they'll stay in for the few hours it'll take us to move and set up the coop at the new house. I'll move them in cat carriers. I have to make sure the pen is covered because there are hawks. Any other advise?

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:That's pretty much what I would do. [​IMG]

5. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    if you free-range, keep them confined in the coop/run for a few days. Let them settle in and then start letting them out in the evening or when you are there to supervise. Just to make sure that they know that this is home now and don't go wandering off instead of roosting where they should.

6. Pretty Pony

Pretty Pony Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2008
    Ft. Smith, AR
    Thanks for this post. I will be moving in the next month and it is a 12 hrs drive away. I am trying to figure out how to move the poultry, when to move the poultry and figure out how many crates I will need for a stress free move.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by