We're pretty, but what are we?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mischki, Sep 13, 2011.

1. mischki

mischki Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    This is one of the chickens I got from a friend when she moved. I have no idea what she is, but we call her Goldie for obvious reasons:
    [​IMG]

And this is Lucky. We got her and 8 others as baby chicks from TSC a year and a half ago. She's called that because we thought she was a roo at first...[​IMG] :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From the same batch of "production red" chicks, came Top Dog, our rooster (something got some of his long beautiful green tail feathers about a month ago, but they're growing back in now):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's Whitey. We thought he was a she until he started mounting the hens and later crowing. He also came from my friend who was moving. (Yeah, I know, Name Fail. I wasn't feeling very creative that day...)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking Whitey is either a White Leghorn or a California White. I don't know if you can see it in the pictures, but he does have a few feathers that have some light brown on the ends - but just a tiny bit - makes him look like he's gotten dirty but it's almost worn off...

So what are they? [​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    The top two look like a Black Sexlink and either a BO or a BO with something else mixed in. I dunno on Whitey or the other roo.

3. Direchicken

Direchicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Passage West
    Goldie's plumage reminds me a bit of Welsummer and a bit of Brown Leghorn, but I don't think she is either, entirely. Among several differences, both the latter breeds have yellow legs and reddish breasts, unlike your Goldie.

Lucky has the bodyshape of a Leghorn, and the ground colour of the plumage might be about right for Buff Leghorn... but there's black in the tail that suggests other elements at work in her bloodline.

Top Dog I have no idea about. Though I'd be surprised if there's less than three breeds in there.

And as for Whitey, he actually looks quite like I imagine our 5 week old Buff Orp/White Leghorn might turn out. Though there are probably lots of Buff coloured things other than Orp that could sully white feathering like that.

Be interesting to see what other answers you get, I think these are all quite tricky!

Cheers,

Mark

4. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    #1 looks like a black star.
    #2 looks like a sun bleached hatchery New hampshire...maybe?
    #3 roo looks like a mutt or gameX not really sure
    #4 roo looks like a Red star roo maybe? Or a white rockX. Not to sure on him either. He looks to have pinkish legs.

5. mischki

mischki Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    If it helps any, Lucky and Top Dog are the same age, and out of all the fluffy chicks we brought home that day, they were the two yellowest ones, and they were bigger than the others to start with (that's why we thought she was a roo), followed by the yellow with red-striped ones that turned out to be red stars, then the red ones that turned out to be RIRs.

And yes, Whitey's legs are kinda pinkish - almost a salmon color. Top Dog is absolutely gorgeous in the sun when he's in full plumage - he sparkles gold, red and green! I thought maybe he was a Welsummer - but I'm new to this. I just guessed that because he looks just like the Kellogg's Corn Flakes rooster.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  6. Murrmade

Murrmade Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    I have to agree, the top one is def a Black Star.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by