We're REALLY late

Redbirdacres

Songster
Mar 22, 2022
We have 15 CC that we're really late getting culled. We have an appt with the Amish farm that does it for us for the 25th. They'll be 14 weeks. I feel terrible for them. How can I help them till this date? Please, I feel bad for them already, no negative comments.

What kind of shape are they in, any problems or issues??
Also...how have you managed their feed and housing?

Not everyone butchers the birds at 8 weeks. That is pretty young. Many wait until 16 weeks. When you bring them home, refrigerate them for two before freezing.

Are they still able to walk? Make sure they have clean and soft bedding to rest on, and plenty of water. What is your feeding regime like?

@Morrigan @aart They are...OK. They're pretty big and one or two try nit to move as much as possible (one in particular) but they're all getting up and moving around some. No issues they're just really big. We feed once in the morning. I told my husband to cut back a little but he was worried with the colder wet weather we had the last couple days.

Not everyone butchers the birds at 8 weeks. That is pretty young. Many wait until 16 weeks. When you bring them home, refrigerate them for two before freezing.
I feel like 16 for a CC is waaaay past time, no? Mine are not quite 13 weeks and theyre HUGE. Our last batch was done at 11-12 weeks and they were 8-11lbs!

@Morrigan @aart They are...OK. They're pretty big and one or two try nit to move as much as possible (one in particular) but they're all getting up and moving around some. No issues they're just really big. We feed once in the morning. I told my husband to cut back a little but he was worried with the colder wet weather we had the last couple days.
Keep them dry. Odds are they have enough mass to stay warm if kept dry

I feel like 16 for a CC is waaaay past time, no? Mine are not quite 13 weeks and theyre HUGE. Our last batch was done at 11-12 weeks and they were 8-11lbs!
Yes, 14 weeks is pretty old for a CX. I raised some to 13 weeks before and was getting the 8 to 11 lbs.

It's a good sign that they are still moving around OK. Keep them cool and comfortable. Try to avoid anything that causes them sudden stress, like loud noises. And keep your fingers crossed!

I've never had CC, just from what I've read, 16 weeks at butcher is done. It is later than usual. People get them so they can butcher at 8 weeks, even 6 weeks, but there is some wiggle room.

Back
Top Bottom