Were we had?

Linda in San Diego

Songster
11 Years
May 11, 2008
San Diego
$35 later...
My DH and I stopped by the local supermarket on the way home. DH has a bad back and when we were ready to check out, DH decided to go to the van and wait for me there. Once I was done and headed out, I knew something was up. There was a lady on her cell phone talking to DH through an open window.
Her story - she had brought her 90+ year old father to an eye doctor to get glass? out of his eye. They had stopped at the store for something and then her car would not start. Triple A had not been able t restart the car and where her father lives is many, and I mean many miles away. For locals - La Mesa to Temecula far away. She needed money to get a shuttle to take them home.
$34, to be exact. She was on the phone with mom who told her to find an angel. Well, long story short - we gave her our address and $35. She promised to mail us the money once she was home. She said neither she or her dad had an ATM card with them - they did not "plan" on going to the store.
Now as I sit here, I wonder, how many people leave home without their ATM card? It is a fixture in my purse, it is a fixture in my DH's wallet.

Sigh - I wonder if we were suckers? I told DH that I have given away close to $100 in that parking lot this year - a mom who needed formula for the baby. A girl and her brother who needed gas. The woman who needed dinner fixings for her children the day before her disability check came in, gave her the money and reminded her to get fruit and veggies too. Now this lady and her dad that we never saw.

I need to ask someone if there is a secret code scratched on our van or our backsides that says "softies here!"

That was nice of yall to do that. Did you get suckered? Probably. But, at least you can sleep tonight knowing that if they truly needed help, you did not turn your backs. Besides, we never know when we are being tested, right?

Sigh - I wonder if we were suckers? I told DH that I have given away close to $100 in that parking lot this year - a mom who needed formula for the baby. A girl and her brother who needed gas. The woman who needed dinner fixings for her children the day before her disability check came in, gave her the money and reminded her to get fruit and veggies too. Now this lady and her dad that we never saw.

I need to ask someone if there is a secret code scratched on our van or our backsides that says "softies here!"

I feel that way sometimes too. If someone comes up to me and ask for money and I have some extra cash I usually give it to them. I just always hope that maybe someday if I'm in the same situation someone will help me out.​

It seems pretty likley you were scammed. But, you never know.

Since you seem to have the means to give out cash, why not offer to purchase someone's groceries if they hit you up for the money, or give the funds to a food bank? Food banks are desperate for donations right now... plus you'd get a tax benefit.

Very nice of you, but hope you gave her a PO Box address. You do not really want people showing up on your door step with more stories..........I am a naive San Diegan, too, who gave a lot to story tellers like this in the past.........Yikes, cannot afford that anymore.

Oh, I forgot to mention, if you (respect. her) have AAA, they will tow you to a repair place plus they drove me home when my car broke down last year.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong - our bank account only survives through my paycheck - and I have some huge debts to pay off in the next few months. I have turned down plenty of others - I have bags in the back of the van to give out - a bottle of water, a sweet treat, a dried fruit, nuts and or another source of protien. Stuff I pick up at the 99 cent store and put into bags.
But some people seem to need the cash. I also donate to the local food bank as I am able. DH tends to buy in bulk - so I can share some of the basics and still have plenty for us.
We have severe financial issues of our own, but I am blessed with a loving husband and 3 fantastic offspring. I don't have much, but the little bit I give would not "fix" my financial issues, but can help them if they are telling me the truth. If they are lying - then it will hurt their Karma, not mine.

I probably would have done the same as you. It certainly could have been a scam, but who knows, it could have been a true story. I would rather be taken by a scammer every once in a while than not help someone who truly needs it.

Quote:
Thanks - that is my feeling too. But I was doubting as I sat here and thought about the whole ATM card thing - I wonder - if I had asked to see her driver's license - would she have shown me?

Well, time will tell I suppose...

Back
Top Bottom