West Jordan, UT 84081 please comfort me!!

Don't worry, NOBODY was born knowing all about chickens.

Hardware cloth is a rigid mesh of wire that is very strong when properlt applied to a frame, usually 2x4's. To keep predators from digging under the fence, make an "apron" around the bottom all the way around the perimeter.

Any hardware store or feed/animal supply store would carry hardware cloth. And some people do call it wire.

Wow I really don't know much about chickens and coop!!! I always thought the word "wire" are stronger than "cloth"...where can I buy the hardware cloth, would the place where I got the chicks has them?
We used hardware cloth for our run and over any ventilation areas/windows on our coop. We have raccoons in our neighborhood, so predator proofing was a must. The hardware cloth isn't exactly cheap, but since we do have predators around, we wanted to do it right and make sure that our 5 hens were protected. We bought the hardware cloth at Home Depot. I would think the farm store where you got your chicks would have it also.

Don't worry, NOBODY was born knowing all about chickens.

Hardware cloth is a rigid mesh of wire that is very strong when properlt applied to a frame, usually 2x4's. To keep predators from digging under the fence, make an "apron" around the bottom all the way around the perimeter.

Any hardware store or feed/animal supply store would carry hardware cloth. And some people do call it wire.

I'm assuming "apron" are an extra cloth that go under the coop spreading outward under the dirt or gravels? Should 6" or a foot will do the trick?

Chicken wire is definitely not going to make the run predator proof. A dog or coyote can rip chicken wire up in short order to get to your hens.

If you find hard ware cloth costs prohibitive, consider your losses if an animal kills all of your hens in one attack......

I don't mean to be harsh, but I remember how I felt when it happened to me. In my case, it was not the cost of the chickens that got killed, but the horror they felt in the last minute of their lives.

If I can make a suggestion? Build a run for them (with hardware cloth) that you can afford, then add to the size of the run as you can afford to.

( As you can see, I am making assumptions about your finances that I should not be making,)

It's ok I'm a broke fellas living pay check to pay check with mortgage to pay and three kids and three dogs to feed haha yes not looking good financially lol

The apron in your case would go on the ground, fastened securely to your fence, extending about 18 inches. This will keep any predators from digging under the fence. To keep predators from climbing into your pen a few strands of hot wire will do the trick.

Lot's of us live paycheck to pay check.....

Back
Top Bottom