West Tennessee Thread

They are not in FFA. They are a little young for it I think. 6 year old girl and 12 year old boy. He has a road island red show rooster. He has lost interest in the chickens some. My daughter in the other hand is all about tending to them and taking care of them. We go to the Gleason sale barn and really enjoy it. I have gotten a lot of my flock from there.

Hey there I'm a newby to the chicken world from Arlington Tn (near Memphis) just purchased 22 chicks from cackle hatchery in mo. Received 25 birds all healthy in week 3 now still going strong growing like weeds . I have 12 white rock hens,11 dark Cornish hens and 2 Rhode Island Red roosters . The plan is to keep about 3 or 4 of the dark Cornish around to see if they will go broody for me and hopefully get some sex link chickens out of W.R.hens x RIR roosters we will see

Hello everyone!! Been a minute!! LOL
I have been working on building a new bigger and better chicken pen so that I can separate the many different birds that I have. I now also have gotten a turkey. We are waiting to find out if it is male or female before we get more. I have white silkies, a variety of naked necks (Turkens), Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Amarucannas ( I know I didnt spell that right.) two different kinds, ones with tail fearthers and some without, Barnevelders, and tons of different kinds of Banty breeds. We now also have Indian Runner ducks, and Anacona (probably didnt spell that right either) ducks, and another duck that has a puff ball of feathers on his head. I had never seen one like that and had to have it. We of course have some Pekin white ducks. And six geese, two of which I know are African Grey geese. Not sure what the others are. I recently got me an incubater too! Supposed to hold 500 eggs! I am going to be very busy come this spring LOL!! Catch y'all later!!

Hey there I'm a newby to the chicken world from Arlington Tn (near Memphis) just purchased 22 chicks from cackle hatchery in mo. Received 25 birds all healthy in week 3 now still going strong growing like weeds . I have 12 white rock hens,11 dark Cornish hens and 2 Rhode Island Red roosters . The plan is to keep about 3 or 4 of the dark Cornish around to see if they will go broody for me and hopefully get some sex link chickens out of W.R.hens x RIR roosters we will see
Welcome to the West TN Thread ! Sounds like you have a good start.

Hello everyone!! Been a minute!! LOL
I have been working on building a new bigger and better chicken pen so that I can separate the many different birds that I have. I now also have gotten a turkey. We are waiting to find out if it is male or female before we get more. I have white silkies, a variety of naked necks (Turkens), Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Amarucannas ( I know I didnt spell that right.) two different kinds, ones with tail fearthers and some without, Barnevelders, and tons of different kinds of Banty breeds. We now also have Indian Runner ducks, and Anacona (probably didnt spell that right either) ducks, and another duck that has a puff ball of feathers on his head. I had never seen one like that and had to have it. We of course have some Pekin white ducks. And six geese, two of which I know are African Grey geese. Not sure what the others are. I recently got me an incubater too! Supposed to hold 500 eggs! I am going to be very busy come this spring LOL!! Catch y'all later!!

It looks Like you have already been busy ! :)

We have been busy!! We have finished most of the new big chicken pen. We have one more pen to finish. My cousin calls it the chicken time share. We have had alot going on since my last post. After moving my flocks to the new pen, I had a critter start getting them. Never did figure out what it was for sure. We think it was a racoon. Tried setting live traps to catch it but only ever caught the farm cats and dogs. Whatever it was, climbed over the fence, would bite the heads off and then take off with the body. We ended up getting a hold of some of that black mesh stuff they use to cover greenhouses. It took three of them to cover the whole thing fully. We rolled it over the edges and secured it to the sides so that nothing could climb in. Since we did that I haven't lost any babies to critters.

My male ducks on the other hand have drowned several of my females. Finally figured out it was them and not the critter. Thought that the critter might have been trying to get them but wasn't able to get the bodies out of the water. Usually, the critter would only get the smaller or slower chickens. Thinned the flock out real quick of the extra males. Unfortunately, I only have two females now. On the lookout for more now. Our turkey ended up being a hen and so we got a tom. They are working out well together.

All of my babies from the spring/late summer have started laying it seems all at once! Especially the banties. This bunch is a very talkative bunch too!! When we are working inside and out of the chicken house or even around it you cannot talk to each other much and be able to hear each other for all of the cackling and crowing going on. LOL

I have been told by friends around me that their chickens and others are not laying anymore. I am getting anywhere from 2-3 dozen a day still. They really haven't slowed down too much. Is there anyone else that is having issues with their chickens not laying? I know they cut back in the winter because of daylight hours and such but my friends are saying that their egg production has almost stopped completely.

To Memphis: Do you have a Barnevelder rooster you would sale? I have two hens that are brown and black that I would like to set up with a roo to hatch some eggs off of. I got them in on a deal when I bought a chicken house. After getting them I seen an ad from someone selling Barnevelders and was asking $25 a piece for them. I have not had a chance to do the proper research on these girls. Are they a pricey breed?

Last edited:
No Barnevelder roosters at this time. Price is relative. Depends on quality and who you are buying from. Go post on the Middle Tennessee forum. Someone may have roosters.

Back
Top Bottom