West Virginia chicken gal

Angrnbsn

Chirping
Nov 11, 2019
I am in Leon WV, I am a first time chicken farmer, I have 8 hens, all of a sudden they are fighting and pecking each other horribly especially my silkie. Some one suggested getting g a rooster. Thought I would give it a try if anybody had one they would like to get rid of oor sale. Also any suggestions I would greatly appreciated it!!!

A rooster may help but I would look at other factors first like space, nutrition, age of the chickens, what varieties/sizes you have (many people keep silkies to their own flock due to bullying for example) , what environmental factors could be stressing them, etc.

If you're intent on getting a rooster you can check your state thread, the buy/sell/trade free chickens forum, or your local craigslist or classifieds.

Many people keep silkies separate from the larger standard sized breed's, because some of them will bully the smaller silkies. Silkies have a soft spot in the skull under all of that head fluff. A good peck to that area can kill them.

A rooster may help but I would look at other factors first like space, nutrition, age of the chickens, what varieties/sizes you have (many people keep silkies to their own flock due to bullying for example) , what environmental factors could be stressing them, etc.
Yes, THIS!!^^

@Angrnbsn please show us pics of your coop and tell us about your birds(age, gender, etc)

Many people keep silkies separate from the larger standard sized breed's, because some of them will bully the smaller silkies. Silkies have a soft spot in the skull under all of that head fluff. A good peck to that area can kill them.

Thank you so much! That really scares me ! I don’t want her hurt she’s my favorite! I’ve 3 silkies coming in January and I’ll see if I can arrange to separate them some how
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom