Wet and Dry Fowl Pox - Graphic Pictures of Pus and Scabs

Pics
Can someone please confirm if this is wet pox or not. I had been thinking it was frostbite, but having looked at all these photos I'm now wondering.
th.gif
I'm not even sure which would be worse! She started out with bubbles in her eyes. I used Terramycin triple antibiotic ophthalmic ointment and they cleared up within 24 hours. I also started putting some on her comb and wattles, which have become yellowish and hard. Other things I've been doing are applying povidene and Vaseline. Something is going on around her eyes....they look kinda enlarged and there is that black around them too, and they are a little crusty. Only a week ago her comb was lovely and bright red and very soft/pliable.

In the photos her head is wet because I'd just finished bathing her comb. First thing tomorrow I'm going to open her mouth and look down her throat. She is definitely still weighty and eating and drinking well....no noticeable difference in her demeanour....maybe just a little stand offish from the group.

Is it too late to separate her from my other chickens? Some of the others have recently had dry pox and are now fully recovered. I do have a young 3 month old chick with a black scab on her comb which looks suspect....otherwise everyone else looks fine at the moment.

I appreciate all advice given. Thanks

It looks like dry pox to me, but check the inside of her mouth for pus and if there is any, it's wet pox.

-Kathy

Disclaimer: My experience is limited to my current outbreak of both wet and dry pox.

Thanks Kathy for your quick reply - sure appreciate it living over the other side of the world!

Will update here tomorrow on whether I find pus inside her mouth or not. I understand if I do find pus inside her mouth that I need to scrape it off with Listerine...is this correct?

I'm still experimenting with that... like the scabs, some of mine will start to shed the pus after a few weeks. I also have noticed that sometimes it grows back after removal, sometimes it clears up. For the lesions inside the mouth I have been using iodine tincture, but Listerine might work and it's not poisonous, lol.

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy for your quick reply - sure appreciate it living over the other side of the world!

Will update here tomorrow on whether I find pus inside her mouth or not.  I understand if I do find pus inside her mouth that I need to scrape it off with Listerine...is this correct?

I'm still experimenting with that... like the scabs, some of mine will start to shed the pus after a few weeks. I also have noticed that sometimes it grows back after removal, sometimes it clears up. For the lesions inside the mouth I have been using iodine tincture, but Listerine might work and it's not poisonous, lol.

-Kathy

I saw the same with scabs.

As for plans , I'm going to weigh, worm and dust them, of course, lol, then those that aren't eating or are loosing weight will get tube fed. Not too worried about the dry pox, like everyone says, that clears up on it's own.

-Kathy
How do you tube feed a chicken. Every time I've tried force feeding one it comes out of the nostrils. I've got a chicken that one eye maybe missing and can't open the other, so I don't see how it will be able to eat or drink by itself. I had a chicken w/ wet pox put down on 09/27 is it safe to assume this is dry pox.

Thanks those were great threads and I did manage to do 3 feedings now. Just put down a hen w/ wet pox. She was stretching her neck out and breathing thru her mouth. The vet thought it was that infectious larangogitis (or something like that).I didn't think she did just because the neck thing & breathing through her mouth was the only symptom she had. Well sent tissue off and it was wet pox. Then yesterday found 1 w/ real junky eyes. One eye did have pus and she had a little in the back of her throat no breathing issues though. I read that you should give penicillin to ward off secondary infect, and then I read on this thread not to. Of course trying to prevent same out come of the first hen I gave the abx. So very confused and don't know what's the best course of treatment. I found another hen w/ this am with the same symptoms as the first. Just got my oxine so I put a humidifier w/ oxine in it, and they're getting a treatment now. Will try to get a neb today so it can get deeper into resp system. Anyway question now is to give the penicillin or tylan or something else or nothing at all. Did put oxine in main flocks water and misted them w a spray bottle this am. Should I put a humidifier in the chicken house tonight for prevention, or just treat as they become ill? Or maybe just shoot myself and be done with it. Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom