Wet and Dry Fowl Pox - Graphic Pictures of Pus and Scabs

Pics
Thanks Kathy
smile.png

With so much good information at my fingertips it's a shame that I couldn't update with good news.

The most important think to do is to is keep them from losing weight. If they do lose weight, I tube feed. Getting the scabs off their eyes is also important.

-Kathy

See this happened in 3 days time ... I can't even find her eyes. I was keeping dry the scabs on eyes to pick off but that didn't work , now I'm coating them with terrecymin ointment apologize in advance if I got that name wrong. I'm feeding her with dropper water honey vitamins and a antibiotic to prevent secondary infections. But I don't know if this is enough . The breeder I bought her from said she was vaccinated for small pox . I've had her for 3 weeks she's about 5 months. I purchased the vaccine do I vaccinate all healthy birds? I have her inside with me. Only 2 other pullets had 1 scab each and one fell off already the other one looks to soon. This is the only one like this .. Thank God

Game-over with our bird this morning. 

Yesterday the wounds in her mouth seemed to be getting better and several of the large pox on her body seemed to be going white around the edges as if the skin was repairing. However more disturbingly while cleaning her rear end I also saw that she had a large pox on her vent.

This morning she suddenly started to lose her balance and kept her eyes shut, then I heard a fluttering sound and she appeared to be having her last convulsions then she swiftly died.

She was our only silkie chicken and always seemed on the frail side, having no other birds of that breed to compare her to it was hard to see whether she was small and weak or that was just the characteristics of her breed, but I have been worried about her for a few months. We won't know what killed her, Merks disease or fowl pox or something equally bad.

Keeping chickens is proving to be a lot harder that I thought it would be.

Im sorry for your loss, i lost one of my girls a week ago it was so sad i dont know what happened to her
1f625.png

Back
Top Bottom