Wet and Dry Fowl Pox - Graphic Pictures of Pus and Scabs

Pics
I don't have Baytril, but I can check my local feed store. She is eating, but not sure if its enough. I am going to weight her tonight and then daily.

Can I force feed with a medicine syringe? How often and how much feed & water do I give her?

I don't have Baytril, but I can check my local feed store. She is eating, but not sure if its enough. I am going to weight her tonight and then daily.

Can I force feed with a medicine syringe? How often and how much feed & water do I give her?
Baytril is something you'd have to order online... As for force feeding, doing it with a tube is the safest way.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Supplies needed:
  • Size 18 french catheter tube (vet or medical supply store)
  • 30ml or larger catheter tip syringe (vet, medical supply store or Tractor Supply)
  • Kaytee Baby Bird Food (Petsmart or Petco)

If you can't find a the catheter tube, you can use 16" of aquarium air line, but will have to modify the end with a lighter to make it smooth enough for her crop and esophagus. If you decide to use air line I don't think the catheter tip syringe will fit, so you would nee a regular luer instead. Here are the different types of syringe tips:

-Kathy

Until I get the supplies, can I moisten the feed and put small (less than pea size) amounts in her beak to get her to eat?
She is eating/drinking some, but I don't think its enough for her. She feels like she has lost weight. I will start weighing her today to know for sure what is going on.
My husband is not normally attached to animals, but this little pullet has gotten under his skin.

Feeding them like that might be too stressful, and I bet she's dehydrated. How warm is the cage she's in?

-Kathy

The cage is outside in an enclosed shop. We open the door during the day for light. The outside temp is in the high 90's. The shop is shaded and the temp is probably in the mid to high 80's.

She is caged with another hen that has the fowl pox. I removed the scabs off the other hen and she is healing nicely. They have become great friends.

She is chirping and clucking some. She does peck at the food and drinks the water. She seems to follow the lead of the other hen. The other hen is about 19-20 weeks. Shrimp (her name) is about 14 weeks old.

Okay... I was going to suggest that you keep her in a warm place. Sick birds do best when kept in a room or cage that's 80-85 degrees.

-Kathy

The other hen should be well enough to move back in the coop in the next 3-4 days. I am worried if I move her, Shrimp will become depressed. Any suggestions?

thanks. I get off work in a few hours and then I will try to help my girl. Wish me luck. Mom in home during the day, but isn't comfortable using tweezers on her eyes without someone there to hold her head.

Kathy
From experience, if I can get the junk out of her eyes tonight, will it keep coming back for a few days? How long before I should see any improvement or know if she has lost her sight?

Back
Top Bottom