Wet and Dry Fowl Pox - Graphic Pictures of Pus and Scabs

Pics
Update:
All my girls made it through. Coconut and Waffles have started laying. Waffles still has gunk on her tongue, but it's receding.
Chuck still has the spot on her upper beak, and has been sneezing. When another of my young girls got bubbly eyes, I isolated them together and have been treating with tetracycline.

Both my roos (unvaccinated) got a touch of dry pox, but only a couple of spots, and they are doing fine.

All the others are clean and healthy.

Thank you, again, everyone, for your advice and guidance getting them through this.

Lots of great info, thank you Kathy for documenting your treatment and pictures. I recently rescued a rooster that has been running around my aunts neighborhood. I plan to put him with my 7 hens,( from tractor supply).
He was recently in a fight with another rooster, I assumed these marks on him comb were scabs, but after reading this thread I am fearing the worse.

I would really like to prevent, introducing this to my hens. Any tips on how I should introduce? Vaccine hens? Mesqitos are present so having him on the property will now risk spreading.

He eats and drinks fine, have not checked inside his mouth yet, and no scabs on legs, feet.

I'm a being paranoid, or is this early stages of dry pox??

I know this is an old thread, but Kathy how do you remove the scabs?
I have a hen with a scab on her eye lid that need to be removed. I pulled on it last night and it started to bleed. I don't what to rip off her eye lid.

I know this is an old thread, but Kathy how do you remove the scabs?
I have a hen with a scab on her eye lid that need to be removed. I pulled on it last night and it started to bleed. I don't what to rip off her eye lid.
I dont recommend pulling the scabs off. They will eventually disappear on their own. If you're worried about a secondary eye infection from your hen scratching her eye due to scabs, apply terramycin eye ointment in the eye. Only 1/4 inch strip is needed once a day, it will melt into the eye.

How did you get the white chunks out of the eyes? My little one has it in her eyes real bad. I have removed the scabs and pull out what I could. There is still some thick white stuff in the bottom of the eyelid. Do you think using a Q-tip to dig it out would help? It's the bird on the left. Here eyes are really swollen.

Some I used tweezers on, others just a q-tip, and some I applied pressure to the area around their nostrils and milked it out.

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy. I already tried the pressure. I did get a lot out with that method, but a lot still remaisn. I will try again today with a Qtip and then some tweezers. I am sing polysporin on them
She fights with me at first, and then becomes very lethargic.
She looks pathetic, but I am not giving up on her. I would really like to save her eyes.

Thanks Kathy. I already tried the pressure. I did get a lot out with that method, but a lot still remaisn. I will try again today with a Qtip and then some tweezers. I am sing polysporin on them
She fights with me at first, and then becomes very lethargic.
She looks pathetic, but I am not giving up on her. I would really like to save her eyes.

Is she eating? Do you have any Baytril?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom