Wet and Dry Fowl Pox - Graphic Pictures of Pus and Scabs

Pics
I am new as well. However the pox hit all the chicks and the mama broody within 5-10 days and progressively got worse.....I did not know that their area would remain infected after I moved them away from the main flock and I ended up using their pen for others... so over the next few weeks it showed up in almost the entire flock one by one fairly rapidly.
To keep this thread active and your first thread active, I suggest posting another photo maybe side on? Plus any other info you can think of eg spreading to others or not.

I just need to confirm if it is fowl fox or cranker or maybe even something else.

Kathy is the expert when it comes to pox. I have never seen it in mine, at least not noticeable, or canker for that matter. Is that a bump by the eye and what is under it's beak? Some more pics of those areas might help someone diagnose. Also, are you in a warm climate? I read canker is more common in warm weather.
I would suggest keeping a sanitizing agent in their water if you can't change it daily. It really does help stop microscopic bugs like what cause canker and helps stop spread of disease between the birds. Oxine is a good sanitizer (dont' add the citric acid though) and just regular chlorine bleach. The bleach solution is 1 tsp/5 gallons water. http://extension.msstate.edu/content/solutions-and-treatments

Good luck with the chick.

Kathy is the expert when it comes to pox.  I have never seen it in mine, at least not noticeable, or canker for that matter.   Is that a bump by the eye and what is under it's beak?  Some more pics of those areas might help someone diagnose.  Also, are you in a warm climate?  I read canker is more common in warm weather. 
I would suggest keeping a sanitizing agent in their water if you can't change it daily.  It really does help stop microscopic bugs like what cause canker and helps stop spread of disease between the birds.  Oxine is a good sanitizer (dont' add the citric acid though) and just regular chlorine bleach.   The bleach solution is 1 tsp/5 gallons water.  http://extension.msstate.edu/content/solutions-and-treatments

Good luck with the chick.

I am new as well. However the pox hit all the chicks and the mama broody within 5-10 days and progressively got worse.....I did not know that their area would remain infected after I moved them away from the main flock and I ended up using their pen for others... so over the next few weeks it showed up in almost the entire flock one by one fairly rapidly.
To keep this thread active and your first thread active, I suggest posting another photo maybe side on? Plus any other info you can think of eg spreading to others or not.

I clean it's water at least 2 times a day. Here are some more pics that i took just now:

I clean it's water at least 2 times a day. Here are some more pics that i took just now:

Well, it doesn't look like pox pics I've seen. I'm not an expert, but if it was me, I would treat for canker. I searched bing for canker, and saw some pics, and I think it could be that.

As far as it's water, it is not so much the chicks water, but the community water for the flock. If that chick has it, some of the others may have it (mildly) now. I read it is very contagious and can be spread by the feeders and water. So, the water would definitely need a sanitizer to kill the protozoa and keep it from spreading to others.

Well, it doesn't look like pox pics I've seen.  I'm not an expert, but if it was me, I would treat for canker.  I searched bing for canker, and saw some pics, and I think it could be that.

As far as it's water, it is not so much the chicks water, but the community water for the flock.  If that chick has it, some of the others may have it (mildly) now.  I read it is very contagious and can be spread by the feeders and water.  So, the water would definitely need a sanitizer to kill the protozoa and keep it from spreading to others.

So i treat it with apple vinger, water and copper sulfate?

So i treat it with apple vinger, water and copper sulfate?
Don't know about that. I've read nothing regarding apple cider vinegar being used as treatment, but have read that some had no success with copper sulfate (which you have to be very careful with). From what I read the treatment is metronidazole. Look at this old post. Dawg53 is a good poster with good info. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/773308/canker-treatment

And I imagine since that is a chick you would give it a dosage similar to a bantam.

Last edited:
Don't know about that.  I've read nothing regarding apple cider vinegar being used as treatment, but have read that some had no success with copper sulfate (which you have to be very careful with).  From what I read the treatment is metronidazole.  Look at this old post.  Dawg53 is a good poster with good info.  https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/773308/canker-treatment

And I imagine since that is a chick you would give it a dosage similar to a bantam.

I'm not sure it's cranker, it seems to be spreading, cranker only spreads on the beak area while fowl pox spreads all over the face and it is on its beak and eye now. Here is the treatment for fowl pox they told me to get on my thread:

I just need to confirm so that if buy it and it doesn't help then its no use.

Last edited:
I just need to confirm if it is fowl fox or cranker or maybe even something else.
whatever it is you must clean that yellow stuff from the mouth. use q tips than disinfect with 2% iodine/betadine . a better pic would help more. it seems their is a scab on the eye which would mean pox.

It's not the easiest taking pictures of a 3-4 week old chick so these aren't the best but it's all i can do;

Last edited:
It's not the easiest taking pictures of a 3-4 week old chick so these aren't the best but it's all i can do;

looks like pox. you must clean that yellow staff but make sure that the chick does not swallow any of it. put some 2% iodine on scabs and you can put a drop inside the mouth. I gave mine black peppercorns and it helped to dry the scabs. as your chick is small crack the peppercorn and mix with feed or scrambled egg. make sure it drinks and eats.

Back
Top Bottom