Wet and Dry Fowl Pox - Graphic Pictures of Pus and Scabs

From your updated photos. It really looks like the dry pox that I've experienced with my very young chicks, it gets their mouth and eye areas badly. The older pullets and chickens all got the "standard" versions shown in most photos i.e. a few scabs on their comb, turned out to be no drama for them.
Check the little ones body, my worst affected chicks developed pox on their legs, feet and body. Only one of those has done really well and culling isn't even a consideration....its an ugly little warty-elephant face, with attitude and is holding its own with its siblings and finally a scab or two is dropping off....only a couple of dozen more scabs to go and it'll be a swan or just a chicken.
hugs.gif

looks like pox. you must clean that yellow staff but make sure that the chick does not swallow any of it. put some 2% iodine on scabs and you can put a drop inside the mouth. I gave mine black peppercorns and it helped to dry the scabs. as your chick is small crack the peppercorn and mix with feed or scrambled egg. make sure it drinks and eats.

I have been adding this salt in water and then applying to affected areas using a q tip.

Yeah I know Dettol and always chose betadine for first aid, I'd personally not be inclined to put Dettol on a human infants face, and after keeping parrots for many years I know birds have more fragile respiratory systems than us.
Here is an idea!
Years ago I helped out at a FNQ wildlife rescue centre, good folks did a lot on a shoe string budget. Maybe give them a call? I know how expensive Aussie vets are but the wildlife rescue should know about wet and dry pox in Magpies etc. especially if you are in the tropics.
fl.gif

Scratch the dettol, if i get betadine will it cure the chick for sure?

Unfortunately if your chick has the pox it is a virus, no cure. All you can do is assist its healing as best you can with nutrition and try to help the pox dry into scabs without secondary infection or undue stress.

Of my 11 chicks that got pox when they were 2-3 weeks old, only 5 appear recovered (I am anticipating the final mortality rate to be 50% despite my efforts and house care). Of my 10 chicks that got pox when they were 2 months old, all handled it with ease just a few spots on their heads, the 11th chick is now 14 weeks and still showing no sign of pox.
Age and health before infection seem to be the determining factors for survival. It has been a horrible learning curve and I have now mingled the rest of my flock into the infected areas to get the spread of it over and done with.

Back
Top Bottom