Wet Avian Pox?

. What can I do for her

Welcome to BYC. Is she the only one with fowl pox? Have you looked inside her beak and throat for any yellow patches of tissue that could block her airway? Right now from your picture, I would put some plain Neosporin ointment or Terramycin ointment into her eyes with pox near them. I would make sure that she is eating and drinking well, since that is what kills chickens with bad cases. Most pox will clear up in 3-4 weeks unless it is complicated by wet pox or secondary respiratory infection. A little iodine or Lugols Solution applied to lesions on skin not close to the eye or nasal passages may help to dry them up.

I am having a problem with both wet and dry pox right now. My rooster was the first to have pox. I saw the hens picking on him and thought it was scabs from being pecked. I blue koted him and left it at that. 2 weeks ago I noticed a huge drop in egg production but attributed it to cold weather. This weekend I found a hen gasping for air with no other signs of illness. I suspected ILT until my favorite chicken got sick the next day. She had noticeable pox all over her face. And 9 other hens have dry pox. I feel like a terrible mom for having dismissed it before thinking it was just peck marks. I have been tube feeding her for 2 days and treating with tylan 50 for any secondary infections. I ordered Orisept... any success for anyone with that? What else can I do? I know wet pox is pretty bad. She has a lot of mucus in her mouth and several small lesions in her mouth on her tongue and one in her throat.I try to keep her mouth clean by wiping but she is so feisty! How long does wet pox last? She has had dry pox for a week and a half already.

I tried with a q-tip but most wouldn't budge. She seems to be breathing better now and is not foaming at the mouth. She's tolerating tube feeds and pooped for the first time in 4 days. But her crop is not fully emptying so I've only been feeding 60ml of kaytee baby bird and pedialite every 8 hours.

I tried with a q-tip but most wouldn't budge. She seems to be breathing better now and is not foaming at the mouth. She's tolerating tube feeds and pooped for the first time in 4 days. But her crop is not fully emptying so I've only been feeding 60ml of kaytee baby bird and pedialite every 8 hours.
I really had to dig some out on mine. Started with q-tip, but usually had to use tweezers to get the rest out. Regarding her crop, next feeding or two, try just fluids and see if that helps.

-Kathy

This site has been a lifesaver for my chickens. This same hen was attacked by a fox earlier this summer and lost all her skin from the wings back ( not an exaggeration... she was all white meat.. It left her tail and cloacae). Triple antibiotic ointment and some chick crumbles and she was good as new. Minus a quarter size spot that never regrew feathers. She is so strong willed that I haven't been able to do much with her because she fights so much. I'm also doing this without a helper. How can I restrain her better?

I just tried feeding some fluids and only got 20ml in before it came back up. Her crop is soft and squishy. I should have done fluids before feedings to start. I've read that now in other posts. She's gotten 4 60ml syringes of feeding since Tuesday afternoon. And had one huge poop yesterday. Should I just try small amounts of fluid every couple hours today?

Back
Top Bottom