Wet backside issues - not pasted up

ctchickennewbie

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 20, 2012
I have a 5 week old easter egger who's bottom is not pasted up bc she is able to eliminate but it's partially dripping down her underside making her feathers wet, sticky and caked in white. I've cleaned her several times but it keeps coming back. Her poo seems normal like the others but the last part of it to exit is wet. She isn't lethargic. She eats chick starter/grower with a bit of grit and I just added a tiny bit to diatomaceous (sp?) earth to their feed yesterday. I put electrolytes in their water too.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

I should have added that they were in their brooder until yesterday which was the first day we put them in the coop. This has been a noticalbe problem with her for a couple of weeks. It's not hot today - only about 63 degrees in CT and rainy. We did just come out of a hot spell but they were in our house in the brooder the whole time and the temperature in our house is a consistent 74ish. I did use the red light for them but as their feathers grew out it wasn't directly over them - kind of off to the side a bit. They will be 5 weeks on Monday. The other chicks we have are fine and don't have any issues like this.

After a lot of web searching, it might be vent gleet. I'm going to wash her and apply iodine solution. Hope this is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom