Wet Bulb Thermometer (humidity) & Thermometer Locations ~ Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by melanie, Mar 16, 2013.

1. melanie

melanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    I just rigged up a wet bulb. The only stable place I can put the tiny container of water (plastic tub a little smaller than a jigger) is along the edge. The thermometer is on the eggs. Both have been calibrated and are accurate. My question is, does the wet bulb have to be right next to the thermometer/eggs to get accurate reading, or can it be dipped in the tub along the edge? The tub is what you sometimes see ketchup in when you get something to go.

I wasn't sure how to accommodate the wet bulb, so I'd appreciate any ideas. I finally got the incubator dried out, and I have a meter from Ace Hardware, but I'd like to make sure I'm getting an accurate humidity reading. Thank you. :)

Day 6 humidity based on standard meter is 50%

2. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    If you are using a still air, the wet bulb thermometer should be next to the heat thermometer, if it's a forced air, it can be any where.
    You may know this, but that little cup must be filled from time to time, You will know when its empty, because the humidity therm will read exactly the same as the heat therm.

Just wanted to add --- to get 50% RH with a wet bulb, the temperature on it would read 84 degrees

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Buchi

Buchi New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    Just joined . No constant electticity in my area. Can kerosine lantern be adequate as a source of heat for egg incubation. I have both thermometer and the relative humidity guage. I am in Nigeria.

4. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    I don't know, but years ago here in the U.S. incubators use to use kerosene as a heat source

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by