Wet chick mash

Shian34

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2020
I had a chick that needed a lot of TLC, so I fed her wet chick mash to help encourage her to eat and drink. Shes now out in the garage with the other chicks, and they've also been eating her wet mash food. I need her and everyone to start eating the dry chick starter. Is there a good way to go about it?

What is wrong with eating it wet, you can just feed them dry again, they don't need it to be wet or dry.
I might not be here to make wet mash everyday. Plus I'll be moving out soon and I don't think my parents will make wet mash for them everyday.
They're only a week old so I was hoping to train them to eat dry.

I might not be here to make wet mash everyday. Plus I'll be moving out soon and I don't think my parents will make wet mash for them everyday.
They're only a week old so I was hoping to train them to eat dry.

I would try gradually add less water over time to the wet mash, so that it becomes thicker and drier every day until it's just dry feed.

I give wet mash here to get more hydration in our AZ heat. I leave the dry food out in the self-feeder all the time, give wet food in the morning in a separate dish. When they are hungry, they eat the dry. They clean up the wet food pretty fast, I do not give any more than they will eat in a half hour so that it does not sour/spoil.

Are they ignoring the dry food?
My chicks have switched between dry and wet with no trouble.

If they’re ignoring the dry food, I think you can simply put a bit of mash with a bit of dry food, and cut down on the ratio of mash until they take to the dry

Offer both some days and only dry for a few days. They will do fine, they won't go hungry.

I have both available when my chicks are a few days old, but If I go away, all they get is dry. I do the same with my whole flock when they are older.

Back
Top Bottom