Wet Chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MaKettle, Nov 16, 2010.

1. MaKettle

MaKettle Chillin' With My Peeps

Its 47 degrees & VERY rainy here today. I came home to find my girls out in the covered run. I noticed that a couple of them looked sort of wet & one of my BOs is REALLY wet.

Since my run slopes downhill, the top part near the coop can get pretty wet. She must have been up there & because of her fluff, didn't realize she was getting wet until she was totally soaked.

She seems fine, keeps fluffing herself up & shaking the water off. Should I bring her in & blowdry her??

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Chickens go out in the rain all the time. Mine are still a bit wet from this morning's downpour.

3. MaKettle

MaKettle Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad to hear it!!

She didn't seem at all bothered by it...Now I don't have to worry

Thanks!

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Your weather sounds about like ours was this afternoon. I let the birds out early so they could get some free ranging time before it started to rain but they stayed out in it any way. Most were pretty soaked when I closed them up for the night but it hasn't been the first time nor will it be the last. Their feathers shed the rain fairly well and, aside from looking mad about the whole thing, they dry off with no problem. That goes for sleet and snow too, BTW.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by