Wet Chickens In The Winter

urbanhomesteader_shiona

In the Brooder
May 27, 2022
Hey there. Today my chickens willingly stood out in the rain (they had dry options) and got pretty wet. The weather is in the low 40s and not meant to drop below that until tomorrow night. Is it okay to let them roost outside wet or do I need to bring them in/dry them off??

Hey there. Today my chickens willingly stood out in the rain (they had dry options) and got pretty wet. The weather is in the low 40s and not meant to drop below that until tomorrow night. Is it okay to let them roost outside wet or do I need to bring them in/dry them off??
How are they acting? Are any of them standing fluffed up or shivering? Just how wet are they?

You might find this thread reassuring: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wet-hens.1442537/

If they have a dry place they could choose to be and, instead, choose to be out in the rain, you can probably assume that they are fine. Chickens know how to be chickens better than we know how to be chickens. :)

This is assuming that there are no bullying issues keeping certain flock members out of the shelter and that none of the birds are special cases such as silkies, frizzles, or very small bantams.

Back
Top Bottom