1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wet Chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 9jewels9, Apr 19, 2009.

1. 9jewels9

9jewels9 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    I am new to keeping chickens and I don't know how wet chickens can get. I have my coop and run done. I keep the little walk-thru door open for the chickens to go in and out as they please. It has been raining alot and the chickens seem to like being in the rain???? I have 3 leghorns and 6 golden comets. Is this normal?? and ok for them?? It has also been cool about 50 degrees Can they get sick??

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I only have one that likes the water... my white rock. Especially when it get's warm.

Today it hit 94 out there, so I was out watering the lawn about the coop and I sprayed a little into the run. My white rock just sits there and soaks it all in... and then tries to shake it all off...

While the other birds are inside the coop panting, she found a shady spot in the run to enjoy the evaporative cooling. Not a dumb bird.

3. kycklingmamma

kycklingmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

It's funny you asked that because my gals and boys don't care either if it is raining. I though that they shouldn't get wet, but I now think the key is to let them be, but once they are done frolicing around they can seek dry shelter. So long as they are not wet at all times the won't get sick. If your coop leaks water and it is wet or damp, that is not good, but them showering off is cool. As far as cold, they will know when to get warm.

Kycklingmamma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by